Outstanding Chapter Awards
This award combines the Leadership in State Government Advocacy and Chapter Membership Awards into one award, which recognizes a chapter's contribution toward exceptional advances in furthering the strategic objectives of the Academy and in the specialty of family medicine. Chapters can be recognized in various areas in addition to advocacy and membership. This program assists AAFP members and staff, as well as chapters, to identify, select, and recommend appropriate forms of recognition for exceptional initiatives or efforts that benefit family medicine.
The AAFP Office of Governance tracks all awards given by the organization and maintains records of previous recipients, award citations, and photographs of actual awards for reference.
Advocacy Selection Criteria:
Below please find the rules to recognize outstanding chapter contributions to further family medicine through legislative accomplishments or initiatives, or the support of public policy efforts.
Activities undertaken in calendar year 2016 are eligible for the award. Three awards are available and all chapters—small, medium, large, and extra large—are welcome to apply.
Applications should include the following:
- Cover letter requesting consideration
- Background information on issue
- Activity undertaken by chapter
- Outcome of activity
- Lessons for other chapters
- Supporting documents
Applications are reviewed and recommended to the AAFP Board Chair by the AAFP Commission on Governmental Advocacy Subcommittee on State Government Affairs.
Subcommittee members will consider, but not be limited to, the following criteria:
- Approach: How did the chapter position itself on the issue?
- Innovation: Was a new strategy deployed?
- Outcome: How successful was the effort, not necessarily measured by disposition of legislation?
- Replicable: How helpful will this program be to other chapters?
Please send completed applications to:
American Academy of Family Physicians
Attn: Shannon Morey
1133 Connecticut Ave Nw Ste 1100
For more information about the Outstanding Chapter Award for advocacy, please contact:
Manager, State Government Relations
(800) 274-2237, ext. 2552
Membership Selection Criteria:
This award also recognizes chapters for their outstanding recruitment and retention efforts. They are divided into the following categories:
- Highest percentage of increase in the Active category
- Highest percentage of retention of Active members
- Highest percentage increase in the Student category
- Achieving 100% Resident membership
- Highest percentage retention of New Physicians
Active and Student category awards as of December 31; 100% Resident Membership as of February 28 (February 29 on Leap years).
If you have any questions or need more information about the Outstanding Chapter award for membership, please contact:
Chapter Relations Strategist
11400 Tomahawk Creek Parkway
Leawood, KS 66211
(800) 274-2237, ext. 6815
AAFP Leadership Conference for Current and Aspiring Leaders*
*Travel expenses are not provided.