Thomas W. Johnson Award for Career Contributions to Family Medicine Education
Created: 1973, Revised: 2004
Previously: Thomas W. Johnson Award
Established in 1973, the AAFP's Thomas W. Johnson Award is designed to recognize persons who, in the opinion of the AAFP Board of Directors, have made outstanding contributions to education for family medicine in undergraduate, graduate and continuing education spheres.
The award was named in honor of Thomas W. Johnson, MD, a long-time member of the Academy, who actively served the Tennessee Academy of Family Physicians and the national AAFP before joining the Academy staff in 1969. From 1971 until 1973, Dr. Johnson served as the director of the Division of Education.
Nominations Due By:
Email correspondence to chapters, members of the Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors (AFMRD), Association of Departments of Family Medicine (ADFM) and Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) will be conducted in December 2013 containing additional information on this award.
Selection Criteria and Nomination Requirements:
- Nominations accepted from AAFP constituent chapters, members and Academia.
- Nominee must be an AAFP member.
- Nominee is recognized for his/her lifetime contribution to medical education.
- Nominee has developed and implemented innovative curriculum, teaching model(s) or program(s) and engaged in local, state and national or international educational initiatives.
- Nominee is recognized for his/her participation and leadership in academic medical organizations.
- Nominee must have a national reputation.
- Nominee may not be a current AAFP staff member, though former AAFP staff members are eligible.
All nominations must include the following information to be eligible for consideration:
- A statement why you believe the nominee should receive the Thomas W. Johnson Award for Career Contributions to Family Medicine Education. The statement should include sufficient specific data to provide a working knowledge of nominee's education efforts. Statement must not exceed one page in length. Please complete the correct nomination form by email(1 page PDF) or fax(1 page PDF) for submission.
- A typed copy of a current Curriculum Vitae, including data relating to AAFP membership and other medical organizations (7-page maximum).
- A recent head-and-shoulders photo (5x7 or larger is preferred) of the nominee, or a digital photo mailed or emailed.
- No more than 3 letters of endorsement may be added to the nomination package. Endorsement letters from only those individuals who have personally worked with the nominee in a teaching setting will be considered.
- Nominees may be submitted only two consecutive years. Once a person has been nominated two consecutive years, he or she must wait two years before being re-nominated.
AAFP Constituent Chapters, Members and Academia
AAFP Commission on Education
Congress of Delegates*
*Travel expenses are provided. See AAFP Travel Guidelines for Award Recipients.