Robert Graham Family Physician Executive Award
Created: 1999, Revised: 2008
This award was created to recognize an outstanding family physician for his or her role as a physician executive. This award is reserved for Academy members whose executive skills in health care organizations have contributed to excellence in the provision of high quality health care, and demonstrated that family physicians can have an impact on improving the overall health of the nation.
History: This award is named in honor of Dr. Robert Graham, AAFP Executive Vice President from 1985 to 2000. Dr. Graham dedicated his career to improving health care access and fostering the tenets of family medicine. His long-term dedication and commitment to the specialty of family medicine and health care as a whole are the principal foundations for the creation of this award. If you have any questions or need more information, please contact Bethany Burk at (800) 274-2237, ext. 4172, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
List of Past Recipients(5 page PDF)
Postmarked by April 1
AAFP Constituent Chapters
Nominees for the 2014 Robert Graham Physician Executive Award must meet the following requirements:
- Documented executive leadership skills in health care organizations through:
- Encouraging innovation in health care financing, organization and/or delivery;
- Contributing to excellence in the provision of high quality health care;
- Improving patient safety and wellbeing;
- Fostering the tenets of family medicine.
- Have a minimum of five years experience in an executive leadership position; and
- Be a current member of the AAFP.
Note: Typical health care organizations include, but are not limited to, integrated delivery systems, local, state and federal government agencies, commercial health insurance companies, quality improvement entities and large medical groups. It is not the intent of this award to recognize leaders in academia though candidates whose professional duties include limited clinical or academic responsibilities are eligible.
Previous winners of the award are not eligible.
All nominations must include the following information to be eligible for consideration:
- A completed nomination form(1 page PDF)
- A typed copy of a current Curriculum Vitae.
- A minimum of three and a maximum of five letters of recommendation. At least two of the letters of recommendation must be from employees of an organization in which the nominee held an executive position.
- Color 5x7 photo (view photo guidelines(1 page PDF))
Commission on Quality and Practice (CoQP)
Congress of Delegates*
*Travel expenses are provided. See AAFP Travel Guidelines for Award Recipients.