Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism in Medicine Award for Practicing Doctors
(Approved for Presentation by AAFP in 2015)
The AAFP is implementing a new award established by the Arnold P. Gold Foundation for specialty societies entitled “The Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism in Medicine Award for Practicing Doctors.” The purpose of the award is to identify and honor practicing physicians who best demonstrate the ideals of compassionate and respectful care for a patient’s physical and emotional well-being.
This award provides AAFP additional exposure to the medical community and public about the benefits of patient care in primary care. This award is reserved for AAFP members.
Selection Criteria and Nomination Requirements:
The nominee is selected based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrates compassion and empathy in the delivery of patient care.
- Displays confidence in scientific endeavors.
- Shows respect for patients, families, and co-workers.
- Demonstrates cultural sensitivity in working with patients and family members of diverse backgrounds.
- Displays effective, empathic communication and listening skills.
- Understands a patients needs for interpretation of complex medical diagnoses and treatments and makes an effort to ensure patient comprehension.
- Understands and shows respect for the patient’s viewpoint.
- Is sensitive to the patient’s psychological well-being; and identifies emotional concerns of patients and family members.
- Engenders trust and confidence.
The nomination packet must contain the following:
- Letter of nomination with expectation that the letter outlines the nominee demonstrating the ideals of compassion and respectful care for a patient's physical and emotional well-being based on the criteria listed above.
- Curriculum vitae
April 1, 2017
Commission on Membership and Member Services
The recipient is determined by the Commission on Membership and Member Services and approved by the AAFP Board of Directors.
Congress of Delegates* - The recipient is presented the award at the 2016 Congress of Delegates and will receive a monetary award of $1,000, and financial support* to attend the meeting.
Electronic and hard copy nominations will be accepted. If submitting electronically, please scan the nomination form and all supporting documentation to one PDF file. Hard copy submissions also will be accepted. If mailing, please do not fold the materials. The packet should be mailed flat with no staples. No two-sided copies, please.
Letters of nominations should be addressed to "Selection Committee" and sent, along with all supporting materials and documentation, to:
Senior Program Coordinator
American Academy of Family Physicians
11400 Tomahawk Creek Parkway
Leawood, KS 66211
(800) 274-2237 ext. 6812
*Travel expenses are provided. See AAFP Travel Guidelines for Award Recipients.