AAFP Award for Excellence in Graduate Medical Education
Leaders on the front line of health care
This award recognizes outstanding family medicine residents for their leadership, civic involvement, exemplary patient care and aptitude for and interest in family medicine
Q: What do the following family medicine leaders have in common?
- Public Health Award winner
- Outstanding Service Award winner
- Family Physician of the Year
- Executive Vice-President of AAFP
- Founder of Heart to Heart International and Docs Who Care
- Former host of “Family Practice Update” on Lifetime Medical Television
A: They have all received the AAFP/Bristol-Myers Squibb Award for Excellence in Graduate Medical Education.
Of the 3,500 eligible Family Medicine residents, only 12 will qualify for this esteemed designation.
NOTE: The deadline for applications has been extended to Friday, April 4, 2014; complete applications with letters of recommendation must be received by that date.
Completed two page application form(2 page PDF). Note: All materials must be received by March 21, 2014.
- Include premedical, medical school and residency history (explain any gaps in history)
- Include academic honors, political/organizational activities, leadership roles, research, extracurricular and occupational activities
- Two-page maximum
- Why are you studying medicine?
- Why did you choose Family Medicine?
- What separates you from the other candidates?
- Why should you receive this award?
- Two-page maximum
Reference letter and evaluation forms (one from each representative is required)
- Residency program director evaluation form(1 page PDF)
- AAFP active member evaluation form(1 page PDF)
Please send your completed application form and all supporting materials (CV, Personal Statement, Application form, Recommendation forms and Reference Letters from both Program Director and an AAFP Active Member) to:
American Academy of Family Physicians
Attn: Terresa Winch
11400 Tomahawk Creek Parkway
Leawood, KS 66211-2672
Fax: (913) 906-6088
For more information about the AAFP Award for Excellence in Graduate Medical Education, please contact:
(800) 274-2237, ext. 6831