Sponsor an ALSO® Course
Knowledge is power, the power to heal. Help the women in your community. Teach physicians, nurse midwives, registered nurses, and other clinicians, techniques to handle emergencies that occur during pregnancy and delivery.
Sponsoring an ALSO course is a great responsibility. Although time intensive, the course offers rewards that far outweigh the time spent.
Sponsorship Types and Status Requirements
How do I become an ALSO Provider?
To become an ALSO Provider, and to obtain CME accreditation for the course you offer, you must participate in an ALSO Provider Course, pass the written exam, and pass the megadelivery testing stations.
How do I maintain my Provider status?
Before your status expires (five-year status cycle), you must attend another Provider Course or Refresher Course.
Can an ALSO Provider become a course director?
As an ALSO Provider, you are eligible to be a course director for an ALSO Provider Course. The ALSO Advisory Board recommends that the course director be an approved instructor or instructor candidate although it is not mandatory.
How do I become an ALSO instructor?
Participation in an ALSO instructor course designates an ALSO provider as an ALSO instructor candidate.
Instructor Candidate Steps:
- Attend an ALSO Instructor Course.
- Teach at an ALSO Provider Course within one year of participating in the instructor course. Contact the course coordinator to make arrangements.
- Be evaluated and recommended/approved (use Instructor Candidate Evaluation Form(1 page PDF) by an ALSO advisory faculty for approved instructor status. Within one year, advisory faculty must submit the instructor candidate evaluation form.
How do I maintain my Approved ALSO Instructor status?
Before your status expires (five-year status cycle), you must teach in three provider courses.
Do I also need to maintain my Provider status?
Your provider status is automatically extended to meet the approved instructor expiration date. By meeting the ALSO approved instructor status requirements, you will be exempt from taking the provider course as a participant.
How do I become an ALSO Advisory faculty?
To be considered for Advisory Faculty status, you must:
- Hold approved instructor status
- Submit the Advisory Faculty Application Form(2 page DOC)
- Be recommended by a current ALSO Advisory Faculty
How do I maintain my Advisory Faculty status?
You must maintain your approved instructor status. Before your status expires (five-year status cycle), you must teach in three provider courses.
What does the Advisory Faculty position require?
You must be considered an "expert" on all aspects for the ALSO provider course. The ALSO Advisory Faculty maintains quality, consistency, and ensures that every Provider Course adheres to all the requirements set forth by the ALSO Advisory Board.
Recommended web browsers for access: Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.
- ALSO Status Life Cycle Handout(1 page PDF)
- Provider Course Request Form(187 KB DOC)
- Course Coordinator Checklist(1 page DOC)
- Requirements for Conducting an ALSO Provider Course(12 page DOC)
- Requirements for Conducting an ALSO Instructor Course(18 page PDF)
- Requirements for Conducting an ALSO Refresher Course(14 page DOC)
For Advisory Faculty
To discuss your questions about sponsoring an ALSO course, please contact us as follows:
Ruth Flemming (all states excluding TX, CA, PA and Navy)
(800) 274-2237 ext. 6556