Swedish Family Medicine - Cherry Hill
Swedish FM-Cherry Hill
550 16th Ave
Seattle, WA 98122
Description of program
The International Health Area of Concentration is designed to provide motivated residents opportunities to:
- learn firsthand how medical care is delivered in underdeveloped settings
- learn more about epidemic diseases such as TB, HIV and malaria
- learn how social, economic, political forces at the local, regional, national and international levels influence the provision of health care in underserved international settings
- immerse themselves in a new culture and appreciate how health and healthcare are viewed through that culture
- learn about the provision of appropriate medical care in low-technology settings
- gain leadership experience in diverse clinical settings
- learn about the role of public health interventions in medically underserved areas
- participate in health-related research in international settings
- develop an international perspective on the United States healthcare system
These objectives will be addressed through the following four-part module. They are designed to give the individual resident the tools to better understand the theory and practice of international health, and to plan a one-month overseas elective in which to put that understanding to practical use. The four parts are as follows:
- an online curriculum with selected readings, covering several important topics in international health
- a one-month rotation at a site in the developing world, carefully chosen to help achieve the above objectives
- a series of lectures that complements the overseas rotation
- preparation by the resident of a paper or presentation, using the readings and the overseas rotation to help address a significant topic in international health.
Location(s) of program: Nicaragua, South Africa, Peru and Kenya
Description of field experience: One-month experiences.
Description of didactics: We have a monthly lecture series on Global Health issues coordinated by Dr. Gregory Engel, who serves on our faculty.
Cost to individual resident: None -- all expenses are paid, including airfare and housing.
Number of residents who have participated in the last two years: 6
Description of faculty involvement: Faculty make visits to the sites periodically.
Does the program accept medical students for trips? No
Does the program accept residents from outside the program for trips? No
Approximate time of year/duration of trips: Throughout the year.
Who to contact if interested in applying: