The American Academy of Family Physicians reaffirms its commitment to the medically underserved of this country and urges each and every one of its members to become involved personally in improving the health of people from minority and socioeconomically disadvantaged groups.
The Academy supports:
- cooperation between local family physicians and community health centers;
- promotion of health education in schools, faith-based organizations, and community groups;
- continuation of beneficial programs, which serve to promote health and disease prevention;
- simplified regulations and improved payment, which encourage the establishment and success of physician practices in underserved areas; and
- development of programs which encourage the provision of services by physicians and other health care professionals in underserved areas.
(1982) (2013 COD)