Vision & Strategic Plan
AAFP’s Vision is to transform healthcare to achieve optimal health for everyone.
The mission of the AAFP is to improve the health of patients, families, and communities by serving the needs of members with professionalism and creativity.
Member Value Statement
The American Academy of Family Physicians and its chapters proudly represent more than 110,600 family physician, resident, and medical student members. Family physicians play a critical role in improving the health of patients, families, and communities across the United States. The AAFP is committed to helping family physicians improve the health of Americans by advancing the specialty of family medicine, saving members time, and maximizing the value of membership. Our focus every day is to help family physicians spend more time doing what they do best: providing quality and cost-effective patient care. The AAFP delivers value to its members through each of its strategic priorities.
Members expect the AAFP to act as their Bold Champion in areas of strategic importance to them, including Advocacy, Practice Enhancement, Education, and Health of the Public. The tag line “Strong Medicine for America” demonstrates the belief to members and key constituencies that family physicians are the cornerstone of the American health care system.
Objective 1: ADVOCACY
Influence and shape health care policy through interactions with government, the public, business, and the healthcare industry.
- Advance health care for all.
- Advance the patient-centered medical home (PCMH).
- Improve payment equity for family physicians.
- Promote family physician leadership in health care delivery.
- Increase the family physician workforce.
Objective 2: PRACTICE ENHANCEMENT
Enhance and support members’ abilities to fulfill their practice and career goals.
- Assist member practices to transform into and sustain designation as patient-centered medical homes (PCMHs).
- Promote the ongoing imperative for practice redesign through education, communication, and research.
- Assist members to sustain financial success through optimal practice management.
Objective 3: EDUCATION
Promote high-quality, innovative, comprehensive family medicine education for physicians, residents, and medical students to improve the health of their patients.
- Increase the number of members and non-members who utilize American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) continuing medical education (CME) in pursuit of life-long learning.
- Increase medical student interest in family medicine careers.
- Assist members in sustaining American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM) Maintenance of Certification.
- Enhance the quality of family medicine residency education through curricular and operational support to family medicine residency programs, including those in development.
Objective 4: HEALTH OF THE PUBLIC
Assume a leadership role in advancing the health of the public and evidence-based medicine.
- Provide expertise to members through research, evidence-based clinical guidelines, and public health interventions to improve the health status of their patients, families, and communities.
- Support, conduct, and disseminate practice-based research to enhance family medicine practices, to support the development of the patient-centered medical home (PCMH) and to facilitate disease prevention and chronic disease management.
- Empower members with knowledge and tools to address health equity and the social determinants of health impacting their patients and communities.
- Promote healthful lifestyles to members, their staff, and patients.