Administrative simplification represents an industry-wide commitment to reducing health care costs by strengthening the electronic exchange of data, and by removing unnecessary burdens throughout the compliance, claims and billing processes. The AAFP supports these objectives and is continuously working to alleviate demands placed on family physicians through entangling paperwork and needless regulatory complexities.
The AAFP has advocated for expedited implementation of administrative simplification provisions in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) that will enhance meaningful electronic communications between health plans, financial institutions and family physician practices.
We also have pushed for the elimination of aspects of the Medicare and Medicaid programs that are unnecessary, obsolete, or excessively burdensome for health care providers and beneficiaries. Specifically, we have supported the elimination of:
- Provisions that preclude Medicare and Medicaid re-enrollment for physicians who have not responded in a timely manner to revalidation queries of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS);
- The current Medicare rule that automatically deactivates a physician who has not submitted a Medicare claim for 12 consecutive months.
The administrative hurdles facing all physicians have grown dramatically in recent years. The AAFP is determined to help family physicians reduce these roadblocks by identifying and eliminating regulations and processes that add cost while undermining the efficient and effective delivery of quality care.
- Letter to CMS Opposing the 2015 Proposed Part C and D Rule - February 26, 2014(3 page PDF)
- AAFP Letter to HHS Expressing Concern Over the ICD-10-CM Deadline - February 25, 2014(2 page PDF)
- Letter to CMS on Certification of Compliance for Health Plans - February 21, 2014 (2 page PDF)
- Letter on Difficulties Billing Immunizations with Well Child Visits - December 4, 2013(3 page PDF)
- Letter to CMS Requesting State Medicaid Programs Allow a Grace Period for Pharmacies to Fill Prescriptions Written by Residents - October 24, 2013(2 page PDF)
- AAFP Response to HHS on Burdensome Regulations - October 10, 2013 (4 page PDF)
- AAFP Letter to CMS on Proposed Changes to the Medicare Incentive Reward Program and Provider Enrollment - June 18, 2013(4 page PDF)
- Letter to CMS on Adoption of Operating Rules for Health Care Electronic Funds Transfers and Remittance Advice Transactions - December 4, 2012(2 page PDF)
- Letter to CMS Supporting Proposed EFT Regulation - March 1, 2012(1 page PDF)
- Letter to CMS Responding to Proposed Regulatory Burden Reduction - December 7, 2011(2 page PDF)
- Letter to HHS Regarding Proposed Preliminary Plan for Retrospective Review of Existing Rules - June 29, 2011(4 page PDF)
- Letter to CMS Regarding Reducing Burdensome Signature Requirements - June 23, 2011(2 page PDF)
- Joint Letter to OMB Regarding ICD-10 Coding System - July 24, 2008(4 page PDF)