Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) is one of 12 agencies within the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and is charged with improving the quality, safety, efficiency, and effectiveness of health care for all Americans.
AHRQ works to develop successful partnerships that can generate the knowledge and tools required for long-term improvement. Progress toward the agency’s central goal of measurable care improvement is evaluated in terms of improved quality of life and patient outcomes, lives saved, and value gained for health care dollars spent.
The AHRQ’s key areas of focus include:
- Safety and Quality: Reduce the risk of harm by promoting delivery of the best possible care.
- Effectiveness: Improve health care outcomes by encouraging the use of evidence to make informed health care decisions.
- Efficiency: Transform research into practice to facilitate wider access to effective health care service and reduce unnecessary costs.
The AAFP recognizes the importance of AHRQ’s research into the science of primary care and patient-centered outcomes. We enthusiastically supports these efforts believe the agency must continue to have adequate resources to pursue its goals.
In 2012, AAFP joined more than 130 other health care organizations in voicing strong opposition to Congressional proposals to terminate funding for the AHRQ. Together with other organizations, the AAFP supports the agency, believing that the AHRQ serves a vital function in the development of quality patient care and health care system improvement.
- Health Care Research, Quality and HIT 2011 - December 22, 2011(2 page PDF)
- Health Care Research, Quality and HIT 2010 - December 31, 2010(2 page PDF)
- Letter to House Appropriations Committee on FY14 Allocation - June 18, 2013(2 page PDF)
- AAFP Letter to AHRQ on Quality of Transition From Child-Focused to Adult-Focused Care - May 17, 2013(235 KB PDF)
- Joint Letter to House and Senate Appropriations Committes on FY2014 L-HHS-ED 302(b) - April 16, 2013(21 page PDF)
- Joint Letter from the Coalition on Health Funding to House and Senate Committees in Support of Health Funding - March 14, 2013(12 page PDF)
- Joint Letter on AHRQ Funding in House FY13 - July 30, 2012(5 page PDF)
- Letter to Chairman Rehberg on FY13 House Mark - July 18, 2012(2 page PDF)
- Joint Letter on AHRQ FY 2012 Appropriations - April 21, 2011(3 page PDF)
- Joint Letter on FY 2012 Health F 550 Spending - March 24, 2011(11 page PDF)
- Joint Letter to HHS Regarding Finalizing FY2011 Labor-HHS-Education Appropriations Bill - October 29, 2010(3 page PDF)
- Letter to AHRQ Regarding the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force - August 26, 2010(13 page PDF)
- Joint Letter to Congress Regarding AHRQ Funding - March 15, 2010(3 page PDF)
- AHRQ Letter to the Senate - March 4, 2008(3 page PDF)
- AHRQ Letter to the House - March 4, 2008(3 page PDF)
- Letter Expressing Support for Provisions in the House SCHIP bill that would Authorize Enlarging the Program at AHRQ on Comparative Drug Effectiveness Research - July 26, 2007(2 page PDF)
- Letter to Congress Supporting AHRQ Funding - March 15, 2007(3 page PDF)
- AAFP Testimony to House Apropriations Committee on FY 2014 Priorities - March 15, 2013(5 page PDF)
- Statement to Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Labor/Health and Human Services/Education Concerning Section 747 - March 31, 2006(5 page PDF)
- Statement to House Appropriations Subcommittee on Labor/Health and Human Services/Education Concerning Section 747 - March 31, 2006(5 page PDF)