Medical Student Debt
With the median annual tuition for medical students now exceeding $32,000 at public medical schools and $50,000 at private institutions, rising educational costs and a resulting increase in student debt have emerged as significant barriers for primary care physicians entering the profession.
To meet this challenge, the AAFP has called for expanded funding for federal loan and scholarship programs that target family medicine and primary care. We also support the deferment of interest and principal payments on medical student loans until after completion of postgraduate training. We further recommend that the interest on medical student loans be deductible on federal tax returns.
Separately, the AAFP has continued to support the National Health Service Corps (NHSC), which offers scholarships or loan repayment as incentives for physicians to enter primary care settings that serve Americans in rural and underserved areas. By addressing medical school debt burdens, the NHSC also helps ensure wider access to medical education opportunities.
- Joint Letter to Congress in Support of Tax Relief for IHS Loans and Scholarships - November 1, 2013(1 page PDF)
- AAFP Letter to Senate Leaders on Student Loan Interest Rates - June 18, 2013(1 page PDF)
- AAFP Letter to House Leaders on Student Loan Interest Rates - June 18, 2013(1 page PDF)
- Joint Letter to Senate Appropriations on Title VII Sec 747 - March 20, 2012(2 page PDF)
- Joint Letter to Congress on FY2013 Budget - March 16, 2012(24 page PDF)
- Joint Letter to Congress on FY2012 Health & Education Appropriations - September 2, 2011(12 page PDF)
- Letter to the Biden Deficit Reduction Panel - June 20, 2011(5 page PDF)
- Joint Letter Regarding Support of Funding for HRSA in FY2012 - April 6, 2011(4 page PDF)
- Family Medicine Letter to the Senate Regarding FY 2011 CR - March 8, 2011(2 page PDF)
- Coalition Letter on Health Education Spending - May 14, 2010(10 page PDF)
- Testimony to Senate Appropriations - April 12, 2010(4 page PDF)
- Testimony to House Appropriations on FY 2013 Priorities - March 29, 2012(5 page PDF)
- Statement to the House Appropriations Committee on FY 2012 Priorities - April 15, 2011(4 page PDF)
- Testimony to House Regarding the Challenge for Small Medical Practices - July 8, 2009(9 page PDF)
- PPCW Letter to the President Regarding Access to Quality and Cost Effective Health Care for All Americans - July 12, 2011(2 page PDF)
- AFMAC Letter to President Obama Regarding FY12 Budget - March 7, 2011(3 page PDF)
- Joint Letter to HHS Regarding Support of Using the New NHSC Fund under the Affordable Care Act (ACA, P.L. 111-148) - October 22, 2010(2 page PDF)
- AAFP Testimony to Senate Appropriations Committee on FY 2014 Priorities - May 2, 2013(4 page PDF)