Please note: This information was current at the time of publication. But medical information is always changing, and some information given here may be out of date. For regularly updated information on a variety of health topics, please visit familydoctor.org, the AAFP patient education Web site.
Information from Your Family Doctor
What to Do If Your Child Swallows Something
FREE PREVIEW. AAFP members and paid subscribers: Log in to get free access. All others: Purchase online access.
FREE PREVIEW. Purchase online access to read the full version of this article.
Am Fam Physician. 2005 Jul 15;72(2):292.
See related article on foreign body ingestion.
Should I be worried about my child swallowing things?
Children can swallow small objects in an instant. Usually, the object will pass through the gut without causing any problems. Sometimes things get stuck and cause serious problems.
I think my child might have swallowed something. What should I do?
Take your child to the doctor right away if you think he or she swallowed a battery or something sharp. If you think your child might have swallowed something metal (like a coin), it’s probably best to see your doctor. If you think your child swallowed something small that isn’t sharp (like a plastic bead), you do not need to take him or her to the doctor right away. Call your doctor if your child starts to have any of the following symptoms: vomiting, gagging, drooling, not eating, stomach pain, coughing, or wheezing.
Sometimes things can get stuck in a child’s windpipe without causing any symptoms. Your child should be taken to the doctor within 24 hours, even if he or she seems to be well.
What will my doctor do?
The first thing your doctor will do is try to find out what your child swallowed. Your child might need to have an x-ray so that your doctor can see where the object is stuck. Your doctor might use special tools to make sure the object is not stuck in your child’s windpipe.
Depending on where the object is, your doctor might try to take it out or push it down into your child’s stomach. Most things that reach the stomach pass naturally in the stool.
Your doctor might want to take x-rays on several days to make sure the object is moving through the gut. He or she will tell you to watch your child closely for certain symptoms. Your doctor also might want you to check your child’s stools for the object.
How can I keep my child from swallowing things?
Keep small objects, especially sharp objects and batteries, out of your child’s reach. Do not let your child play with toys that have small parts that might come off and be swallowed. Make sure that older children keep their small toys away from your child.
This handout is provided to you by your family doctor and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Other health-related information is available from the AAFP online at http://familydoctor.org.
This information provides a general overview and may not apply to everyone. Talk to your family doctor to find out if this information applies to you and to get more information on this subject.
Copyright © 2005 by the American Academy of Family Physicians.
This content is owned by the AAFP. A person viewing it online may make one printout of the material and may use that printout only for his or her personal, non-commercial reference. This material may not otherwise be downloaded, copied, printed, stored, transmitted or reproduced in any medium, whether now known or later invented, except as authorized in writing by the AAFP. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for copyright questions and/or permission requests.
Want to use this article elsewhere? Get Permissions