Nontender Elbow Nodules
Am Fam Physician. 2016 Sep 1;94(5):375-376.
A 77-year-old woman presented with a longstanding history of daily pain and stiffness in multiple joints. She reported morning stiffness in her shoulders, knees, dorsal feet, and metacarpophalangeal joints that improved with hot showers. She did not have acute attacks of pain or constitutional symptoms such as fever, chills, or weight changes.
On physical examination, she had symmetric swelling, warmth, and tenderness of the second, third, and fourth metacarpophalangeal joints. She also had bilateral irregularly shaped, nontender, firm, fixed nodules over the extensor surfaces of her elbows (Figure 1).
Based on the patient's history and physical examination findings, which one of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
REFERENCESshow all references
1. Rindfleisch JA, Muller D. Diagnosis and management of rheumatoid arthritis. Am Fam Physician. 2005;72(6):1037–1047....
2. Turesson C, Jacobsson LT. Epidemiology of extra-articular manifestations in rheumatoid arthritis. Scand J Rheumatol. 2004;33(2):65–72.
3. Athanasou NA, Quinn J, Woods CG, Mcgee JO. Immunohistology of rheumatoid nodules and rheumatoid synovium. Ann Rheum Dis. 1988;47(5):398–403.
4. Kim SK, Park SH, Shin IH, Choe JY. Anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibody, smoking, alcohol consumption, and disease duration as risk factors for extraarticular manifestations in Korean patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol. 2008;35(6):995–1001.
5. Nyhäll-Wåhlin BM, Turesson C, Jacobsson LT, et al. The presence of rheumatoid nodules at early rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis is a sign of extra-articular disease and predicts radiographic progression of joint destruction over 5 years. Scand J Rheumatol. 2011;40(2):81–87.
6. García-Patos V. Rheumatoid nodule. Semin Cutan Med Surg. 2007;26(2):100–107.
7. Baan H, Haagsma CJ, van de Laar MA. Corticosteroid injections reduce size of rheumatoid nodules. Clin Rheumatol. 2006;25(1):21–23.
8. McGrath MH, Fleischer A. The subcutaneous rheumatoid nodule. Hand Clin. 1989;5(2):127–135.
9. Higgins JC, Maher MH, Douglas MS. Diagnosing common benign skin tumors. Am Fam Physician. 2015;92(7):601–607.
This series is coordinated by John E. Delzell Jr., MD, MSPH, Assistant Medical Editor.
A collection of Photo Quiz published in AFP is available at http://www.aafp.org/afp/photoquiz.
Previously published Photo Quizzes are now featured in a mobile app. Get more information at http://www.aafp.org/afp/apps.
The editors of AFP welcome submissions for Photo Quiz. Guidelines for preparing and submitting a Photo Quiz manuscript can be found in the Authors' Guide at http://www.aafp.org/afp/photoquizinfo. To be considered for publication, submissions must meet these guidelines. E-mail submissions to email@example.com.
Copyright © 2016 by the American Academy of Family Physicians.
This content is owned by the AAFP. A person viewing it online may make one printout of the material and may use that printout only for his or her personal, non-commercial reference. This material may not otherwise be downloaded, copied, printed, stored, transmitted or reproduced in any medium, whether now known or later invented, except as authorized in writing by the AAFP. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for copyright questions and/or permission requests.
Want to use this article elsewhere? Get Permissions