Bilateral Pruritic Auricular Papules and Plaques
Am Fam Physician. 2016 Sep 15;94(6):486-489.
A 59-year-old woman presented with several years of persistent and worsening bilateral pruritic auricular lesions. The rash was limited to the ears, and the patient did not have a history of a similar rash on other areas of her body. She reported rubbing and scratching her ears often. A trial of ketoconazole shampoo and triamcinolone cream was ineffective.
Examination revealed cobblestoned, slightly keratotic, brown papules and plaques on the concave surfaces of both ears (Figure 1 and Figure 2). The physical examination was otherwise unremarkable. A punch biopsy of the plaque was performed.
Based on the patient's history and physical examination findings,
REFERENCESshow all references
1. Mahalingam M, Steinberg-Benjes L, Goldberg LJ. Primary amyloidosis of the auricular concha – a case report and review. J Cutan Pathol. 2000;27:564....
2. Mahalingam M, Palko M, Steinberg-Benjes L, Goldberg LJ. Amyloidosis of the auricular concha: an uncommon variant of localized cutaneous amyloidosis. Am J Dermatopathol. 2002;24(5):447–448.
3. Salim T, Shenoi SD, Balachandran C, Mehta VR. Lichen amyloidosus: a study of clinical, histopathologic and immunofluorescence findings in 30 cases. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 2005;71(3):166–169.
4. Brownstein MH, Helwig EB. The cutaneous amyloidoses. I. Localized forms. Arch Dermatol. 1970;102(1):8–19.
5. MacSween RM, Saihan EM. Nylon cloth macular amyloidosis. Clin Exp Dermatol. 1997;22(1):28–29.
6. Weyers W, Weyers I, Bonczkowitz M, Diaz-Cascajo C, Schill WB. Lichen amyloidosus: a consequence of scratching. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1999;37(6):923–928.
7. Pourrabbani S, Marra DE, Iwasaki J, Fincher EF, Ronald LM. Colloid milium: a review and update. J Drugs Dermatol. 2007;6(3):293–296.
8. Prose NS, Von Knebel-Doeberitz C, Miller S, Miller PB, Meilman E. Widespread flat warts associated with human papillomavirus type 5: a cutaneous manifestation of human immunodeficiency virus infection. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1990;23(5 pt 2):978–981.
9. Ding CY, Liu H, Khachemoune A. Granular parakeratosis: a comprehensive review and a critical reappraisal. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2015;16(6):495–500.
This series is coordinated by John E. Delzell Jr., MD, MSPH, Assistant Medical Editor.
A collection of Photo Quiz published in AFP is available at http://www.aafp.org/afp/photoquiz.
Previously published Photo Quizzes are now featured in a mobile app. Get more information at http://www.aafp.org/afp/apps.
The editors of AFP welcome submissions for Photo Quiz. Guidelines for preparing and submitting a Photo Quiz manuscript can be found in the Authors' Guide at http://www.aafp.org/afp/photoquizinfo. To be considered for publication, submissions must meet these guidelines. E-mail submissions to email@example.com.
Copyright © 2016 by the American Academy of Family Physicians.
This content is owned by the AAFP. A person viewing it online may make one printout of the material and may use that printout only for his or her personal, non-commercial reference. This material may not otherwise be downloaded, copied, printed, stored, transmitted or reproduced in any medium, whether now known or later invented, except as authorized in writing by the AAFP. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for copyright questions and/or permission requests.
Want to use this article elsewhere? Get Permissions