|10:00 AM-11:30 AM||
Speaker: Reid Blackwelder MD, FAAFP
Location: Kansas City Convention Center, 2215B
• Hear the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) president talk about how the AAFP is working to ensure a primary care-based system in which all Americans have a patient-centered medical home (PCMH).
• Find out how to get more involved in advocacy at the local, state, and national levels.
|Workshop||Reid Blackwelder MD, FAAFP||Health Policy & Advocacy|
|10:00 AM-11:00 AM||
Speakers: Viviana Martinez-Bianchi MD, FAAFP; Aaron George DO; Farhad Modarai DO
Location: Kansas City Convention Center, 2210
As health care changes to emphasize outcomes of entire populations, family physicians are uniquely situated to serve as leaders in improving the health of diverse communities.
• Understand population health concepts and background.
• Describe the domains of population health improvement, rooted in principles of community engagement, leadership, teamwork, care management, data collection and analysis, critical thinking, and public health.
• Utilize a competency map in the development of ideas and plans for own family medicine clinic experiences or student-run clinics.
|Workshop||Viviana Martinez-Bianchi MD, FAAFP||Health Policy & Advocacy|
|4:15 PM-5:15 PM||
Speaker: Steven Brown MD, FAAFP
Location: Kansas City Convention Center, 2211
Choosing Wisely® aims to promote conversations between physicians and patients to help patients choose care that is supported by evidence, free from harm, and truly necessary.
• Understand the background of the Choosing Wisely project and a physician’s professional role in stewardship.
• Discuss key Choosing Wisely recommendations and how they apply in practice.
• Utilize key communication tools to help patients understand the harms of unnecessary testing.
|Workshop||Steven Brown MD, FAAFP||Health Policy & Advocacy|