Obtain and Report CME Credit
At the conclusion of a live AAFP CME activity, a link will be provided to assist you in reporting your CME for that activity.
To obtain credit for an AAFP self-study or online CME activity (including American Family Physician, Family Practice Management, FP Essentials™, FP Audio™, and CME Bulletin) you must complete a post-test or quiz. CME credit is added to your transcript on the date the post-test or quiz is completed.
Where can I find the online quiz/post-test for the self-study or online AAFP CME product I purchased?
Links to self-study and online CME activity quizzes or post-tests are located on each product's webpage on this website. To quickly find the webpage for the product you purchased, enter the product name in the search field at the top of this window, or navigate to the product page by using the links at the left.
The Academy offers five convenient ways to report credit:
- Report your CME online.
- Fax your completed CME reporting form or certificate of participation to (913) 906-6075.
- Call the AAFP Member Resource Center at (800) 274-2237 (8:00 a.m.–5:30 p.m. CT).
- Mail your completed form to the AAFP Member Resource Center, 11400 Tomahawk Creek Parkway, Leawood, KS 66211-2672.
- Complete the post-test or quiz from AAFP-produced self-study programs, such as American Family Physician, Family Practice Management, FP Essentials, FP Audio, and CME Bulletin. CME credit is added to your transcript on the date the post-test or quiz is completed.
(To ensure the accuracy of your CME record, please make sure handwritten information is complete and legible.)
- The CME provider may not have applied for approval from the AAFP.
- Approval for the CME may be pending review.
- You may have typed the title differently than it is listed in our system. Use a keyword to search, and you may receive additional results.
- You may have entered a provider name different from the one listed on the application for CME certification. Remove the provider name from your search, and you may receive additional results.
E-mail us at email@example.com or call (800) 274-2237 for clarification.
Members asked us to enhance the CME reporting process to better meet their needs. Before the enhancement, CME information sent to our AAFP Member Resource Center was reviewed by AAFP staff and then added to a CME transcript. This process often took as long as 72 hours. Many times, the activity title submitted could not be entered.
With the enhancements, the database can help you get the appropriate credit by locating the correct activity title before you enter it. CME credit is added to the transcript upon submission, using the information you provide.
When you complete the self-assessment modules on the ABFM website, the CME credit will automatically be reported to the AAFP.
If you prefer to report it yourself, go to Report My CME, then follow these instructions:
- Click "Search Self-Study Activities."
- Enter the date you completed the module.
- Enter a keyword from the title of the module.
- Enter American Board of Family Medicine as the provider.
- Click "Search Self-Study."
- Select the appropriate module(s).
- Click "Report Selected Activities."
My certificate says the activity is approved for AAFP Prescribed credit, but I can’t locate it in the database. What should I do?
Limit your search criteria to the date of the activity and the state in which the activity was held. If you are still unable to find the activity, send a copy of the certificate to the AAFP Member Resource Center by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or faxing it to 913-906-6075. The AAFP Member Resource Center will update your transcript, and when necessary, work with the CME provider to ensure our course file and your transcript are accurate.
We use the honor system, and no documentation is required. Please retain original certificates of attendance, etc., in your personal files in the event that other organizations require them. If you send them to us, they will not be returned to you. You can report your activity at www.aafp.org/mycme.
- Make sure you have completed all required fields.
- Make any corrections the error message requests.
- Call the AAFP Member Resource Center at (800) 274-2237, or email us at email@example.com.
Credit may be claimed for certification, recertification, and maintenance of certification through the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM) or the American Osteopathic Association (AOA). Members may self-report this credit up to a limit of 25 AAFP Elective credits per three-year cycle.
There are three ways to remove the duplicated credit:
- Access your CME transcript at www.aafp.org/mycme and click on the delete button next to the duplicated activity.
- Call the AAFP Member Resource Center at (800) 274-2237.
- E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The activity I just completed was approved by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Education (ACCME), but I can’t find it in your database. How do I report it?
To be listed in our database, the provider of the activity must submit an application for CME credit to the AAFP, and it must be approved by the AAFP's CME Credit System department.
If an activity is approved by the ACCME but is not in our database, you may report it as AAFP Elective credit. On “Approval by other organization,” select the American Medical Association
Some providers report your CME credit to us automatically, but some do not. Check your record frequently and report any missing credits.