Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics
ALSO® Provider Course
For Maternity Care Providers
Be prepared When Obstetric Emergencies Occur
ALSO is an evidence-based multidisciplinary training program that helps you better manage obstetric emergencies during pregnancy. ALSO has been improving outcomes for more than two decades via its unique mix of hands-on simulation training and team-based approach that reduces communication barriers and puts maternity care providers on the same page – decreasing errors and minimizing negative outcomes.
About the Course
ALSO Provider Courses offer methods for improving the management of obstetrical urgencies and emergencies. This two-day course is geared to all maternity care providers, including physicians, residents, nurse midwives, registered nurses and other clinicians.
With pre-course syllabus reading and minimal lecture time, this course offers an interactive learning environment utilizing pelvic mannequins and other appropriate medical equipment.
Completion of this course awards ALSO Provider status for five years.*
Attend an ALSO Provider Course
View the full schedule of courses offered by approved sponsors. Dates and locations vary.
What You Will Learn
Topics covered in this course include, but are not limited to:
- Safety in Maternity Care
- Hands-on Workstations to teach you the best skills for handling the following emergencies:
- Postpartum Hemorrhage
- Shoulder Dystocia
- Maternal Resuscitation
- Assisted Vaginal Delivery
- Content for managing pregnancy and birth urgencies and emergencies
- Vaginal Bleeding in Late Pregnancy
- Preterm Labor
- Labor Dystocia
- Medical Complications
At the completion of the ALSO Provider Course, participants should be able to:
- Discuss methods of managing pregnancy and birth urgencies and emergencies, which may help standardize the skills of practicing maternity care providers.
- Demonstrate content and skill acquisition as demonstrated by successful completion of the course written exam and megadelivery testing station.
*About ALSO Provider Status
Provider status is awarded at the successful completion of this course and is valid for five years. Provider status may be renewed for an additional five years by completing the ALSO Refresher or Provider Course. Current ALSO Providers also qualify to attend an ALSO Instructor Course to become an ALSO Approved Instructor.