Tuesday, June 20 - Saturday, June 24, 2017 | Washington, DC (Reston, VA)
Family Medicine Update Live Course
Register by May 22 to save $100
Attend Family Medicine Update
Tuesday, June 20 - Saturday, June 24, 2017
Washington, DC (Reston, VA)
Hyatt Regency Reston
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION DISCOUNT AVAILABLE THROUGH May 22, 2017.
Early Bird $1,095
Early Bird $1,045
Student or Resident
Early Bird $775
Early Bird $1,095
Early Bird $1,475
Family Medicine Update offers everything you need to stay current in your practice. Learn the latest information on the skills you use every day in sessions, such as smoking cessation, ADHD, medical marijuana, and obesity.
Approved for up to 30.5 AAFP Prescribed credits; 30.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Credits include clinical procedural workshops. View all statements and agreements »
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of common clinical problems seen in family medicine.
- Construct evidence-based strategies to diagnose and treat common conditions in practice.
- Prepare plans to address emerging public health topics that patients may present or be concerned with in practice.
- State current guidelines, USPSTF, AAFP, etc., and screening recommendations for selected clinical problems.
Note: Topics are subject to change.
- Acute Ankle and Foot Injuries
- ADHD: Evaluation & Treatment
- Back Pain: Current Strategies in Management
- Choosing Wisely® – A Campaign for All of Us!
- Chronic Pain – Diagnosis and Management
- Colorectal Cancer Screening and Surveillance: Patients at High Risk
- Current Issues in Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Current Issues in Women’s Health
- Diagnosis & Management of Cutaneous Fungal Infections
- Diagnosis & Treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Dizziness: A Diagnostic Approach
- Emerging Trends in the Management of Heart Failure
- Managing Smoking Cessation: How to Optimize Success
- Management of Blood Glucose with Non-Insulin Therapies in Type II Diabetes Mellitus
- Management of Lipids...Beyond Statins?
- Medical Marijuana: What is the Evidence?
- Medications for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Non-Operative Management of Rotator Cuff Injuries
- New Drugs on the Market
- Obesity: Nutrition & Physical Activity – Motivating Patients
- Physician Wellness: Tools to Combat Burnout
- Pneumonia – 2016 Guidelines
- Pre-Operative Risk Stratification
- Probiotics for Gastrointestinal and Allergic Conditions
- Somatic Symptom Disorder
- Transgender Health Care
- Treatment of Neuropathic Pain: What Does the Evidence Say?
- US Preventative Services Task Force 2017
- Zika Virus. Where Are We?
Download the complete schedule(5 page PDF), which includes session times, topics, and faculty.
|Tuesday, June 20, 2017|
|Tuesday, June 20, 2017 : 7:00 - 8:00 a.m.||Registration / Breakfast Provided|
|Tuesday, June 20, 2017 : 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Tuesday, June 20, 2017 : 12:00 - 1:30 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Tuesday, June 20, 2017 : 1:30 - 4:45 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Wednesday, June 21, 2017|
|Wednesday, June 21, 2017: 7:00 - 7:55 a.m.||Breakfast Provided|
|Wednesday, June 21, 2017: 7:55 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Wednesday, June 21, 2017: 12:00 - 1:30 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Wednesday, June 21, 2017: 1:30 - 4:00 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, 22, 2017|
|Thursday, 22, 2017: 7:00 - 7:55 a.m.||Breakfast Provided|
|Thursday, 22, 2017: 7:55 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, 22, 2017: 12:15 - 1:30 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Thursday, 22, 2017: 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.||Clinical Procedural Workshops*|
|Friday, June 23, 2017|
|Friday, June 23, 2017: 7:00 - 7:55 a.m.||Breakfast Provided|
|Friday, June 23, 2017: 7:55 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Friday, June 23, 2017: 12:15 - 1:30 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Friday, June 23, 2017: 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.||Clinical Procedural Workshops*|
|Saturday, June 24, 2017|
|Saturday, June 24, 2017 : 7:00 - 7:55 a.m.||Breakfast Provided|
|Saturday, June 24, 2017 : 7:55 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Saturday, June 24, 2017 : 12:15 p.m.||Course Adjourns|
*Separate registration and fee required.
Note: Times are subject to change.
How to Add Clinical Procedural Workshops
Separate registration and fee required to attend a clinical procedural workshop. Seats are limited and are only available to course registrants. Select a workshop during online registration.
If you have already registered for the course, please call AAFP at (800) 274-2237 to register for a clinical procedural workshop.
(#101) Thursday, June 22, 2017, 1:30 - 4:30 p.m. or
(#104) Friday, June 23, 2017, 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.
- Compare musculoskeletal injections by joint site, steroid agent and dose, and potential side effects that may occur.
- Be familiar with equipment, functionality, aseptic technique and injectate selection for joint injection procedures.
- Perform joint injections on models by being able to identify anatomic landmarks for safe and effective technique.
(#102) Thursday, June 22, 2017, 1:30 - 4:30 p.m. or
(#103) Friday, June 23, 2017, 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.
- Discuss the basic principles of ultrasound imaging, equipment, functionality, and technique for ultrasound-guided pain procedures.
- Develop scanning techniques to optimize diagnostic abilities when using ultrasound equipment.
Registration includes online access to the syllabus one week before the course. A hard copy of the syllabus may be purchased for $60 when registering for the course. Additional information and instruction will be provided by email after you register.
Contact the hotel directly to make arrangements for your accommodations during this course.
Hyatt Regency Reston(resweb.passkey.com)
1800 Presidents Street
Reston, VA 20190
Phone: (888) 421-1442
Rate: $219 Single/Double Occupancy
+ current tax rate
Accommodation Cutoff -- May 22, 2017
Dulles International Airport is 6.7 miles from the Hyatt Regency Reston. Complimentary shuttle service is provided by the hotel to and from the airport.
Note: A limited number of rooms at the discounted group rate are available for conference registrants on a first-come, first-served basis, and cannot be guaranteed by the AAFP.
About Hotel Reservations
- Reservations made after May 22, 2017, will be confirmed on a rate and space available basis. The conference rate is not guaranteed for reservations made after this date.
- Hyatt Regency Reston guarantees reservation by credit card. Credit cards will not be charged prior to arrival date.
- Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival.
This live activity, Family Medicine Update, with a beginning date of June 20, 2017, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 30.5 Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The AAFP is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Academy of Family Physicians designates this live activity for a maximum of 30.5 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
CME activities approved for AAFP credit are recognized by the AOA as equivalent to AOA Category 2 credit.
View more credit agreements »