Wednesday, April 5 - Saturday, April 8, 2017 | Las Vegas (Henderson), NV
Adult Medicine Live Course
Attend Adult Medicine
Wednesday, April 5 - Saturday, April 8, 2017
Las Vegas (Henderson), NV
Green Valley Ranch Resort, Spa, & Casino
AAFP Member - $895
New Physicians - $845
Student or Resident - $645
Allied Health - $895
Nonmember - $1,195
Better evaluate, treat, and manage adult patients in your practice. Learn best practices and evidence-based information on recent and relevant clinical topics, including cardiovascular risk reduction, Hepatitis C, obesity management, and more.
Approved for up to 25 AAFP Prescribed credits; 25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Credits include clinical procedural workshops. View all statements and agreements »
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Improve adherence to evidence-based clinical guidelines in practice.
- Synthesize appropriate diagnosis and treatment plan for common adult conditions in both the outpatient and inpatient setting.
- Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively with the patient to ensure that diagnosis and treatment recommendations are understood.
- Recognize when to refer to or consult with other specialists to provide optimal patient care.
- Anemia Classification and Management
- Asthma in Adults
- Atopic Dermatitis
- Cancer Controversy: (Breast, Lung and Prostate Cancers) To screen or not to screen
- Cancer Survivorship
- Cardiovascular Risk Reduction
- Chronic Pain Management
- Diabetes Updates
- Heart Failure
- Hepatitis C
- High Value Care
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Liver Function Tests
- Lupus: Diagnosis and Management
- MACRA: Medicare’s Shift to Value-based Delivery and Payment Models
- Obesity Management
- Perioperative Risk Evaluation
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Physician Wellness: Tools to Combat Burn-out
- Top 10 New Things I’ve Learned
Note: Topics are subject to change.
Download the complete schedule(4 page PDF), which includes session times, topics, and faculty.
|Wednesday, April 5, 2017|
|Wednesday, April 5, 2017 : 6:30 - 7:30 a.m.||Registration / Breakfast Provided|
|Wednesday, April 5, 2017 : 7:30 - 11:45 a.m.||General Sessions|
|Wednesday, April 5, 2017 : 11:45 - 1:15 p.m.||Lunch Provided|
|Wednesday, April 5, 2017 : 1:15 - 4:30 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Wednesday, April 5, 2017 : 5:00 - 6:30 p.m.||Welcome Reception|
|Thursday, April 6, 2017|
|Thursday, April 6, 2017: 7:00 - 8:00 a.m.||Breakfast Provided|
|Thursday, April 6, 2017: 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, April 6, 2017: 12:30 - 1:45 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Thursday, April 6, 2017: 1:45 - 4:45 p.m.||Clinical Procedural Workshops*|
|Friday, April 7, 2017|
|Friday, April 7, 2017: 7:00 - 8:00 a.m.||Breakfast Provided|
|Friday, April 7, 2017: 8:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Friday, April 7, 2017: 12:15 - 1:45 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Friday, April 7, 2017: 1:45 - 4:45 p.m.||Clinical Procedural Workshops*|
|Saturday, April 8, 2017|
|Saturday, April 8, 2017 : 7:00 - 8:00 a.m.||Breakfast Provided|
|Saturday, April 8, 2017 : 8:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Saturday, April 8, 2017 : 12:15 p.m.||Course Adjourn|
*Separate registration and fee required.
Note: Times are subject to change.
How to Add Clinical Procedural Workshops
Separate registration and fee required to attend a clinical procedural workshop. Seats are limited and are only available to course registrants. Select a workshop during online registration.
If you have already registered for the course, please call AAFP at (800) 274-2237 to register for a clinical procedural workshop.
Evaluation and Biopsy of Skin Lesions
(#101) Thursday, April 6, 2017, 1:45 - 4:45 p.m. or
(#104) Friday, April 7, 2017, 1:45 - 4:45 p.m.
- Explain the options for skin biopsy including shave, punch, ellipse and incisional biopsies.
- Recognize how to choose the best biopsy type for the lesion depending upon the type of lesion and its expected depth.
- Perform closure using appropriate suture techniques for best closure of wounds.
(#102) Thursday, April 6, 2017, 1:45 - 4:45 p.m. or
(#103) Friday, April 7, 2017, 1:45 - 4:45 p.m.
- Discuss the diagnostic and therapeutic rationale for joint injections being performed.
- Explain the risks and benefits of joint injections.
- Describe appropriate equipment/supplies for performing joint injections.
- Using models, perform joint injections.
Chuck Carter, MD, FAAFP, Course Co-Chair, Residency Program Director, Palmetto Health Family Medicine Residency, Associate Professor of Family Medicine, University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Columbia, South Carolina
EJ Mayeaux, Jr., MD, DABFP, FAAFP, Course Co-Chair, Professor and Chairman, Department of Family and Preventative Medicine, Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Columbia, South Carolina
Jason Domagalski, MD, FAAFP, Program Director, Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals Community Memorial Hospital Family Medicine Residency, Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Eddie Needham, MD, FAAFP, Program Director, Florida Hospital Family Medicine Residency; Associate Professor, University of Central Florida College of Medicine; Clinical Associate Professor, Florida State University College of Medicine; Centre for Family Medicine, Winter Park, Florida
Vukiet Tran, MD, FCFP, MHSc, MBA, Assistant Professor, Emergency Medicine Division, DFCM, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Belinda A. Vail, MD, FAAFP, Professor and Vice Chair, Department of Family Medicine, University of Kansas, Kansas City, Kansas
Registration includes online access to the syllabus and other on-site resources one week before the course. A hard copy of the syllabus may be purchased for $60 when registering for the course. A limited number of syllabuses will be available for purchase on site. Additional information will be provided by email after you register.
The following hotel is available for accommodations during this course. Contact the hotel to make arrangements for your stay.
Green Valley Ranch Resort, Spa, & Casino(resweb.passkey.com)
2300 Paseo Verde Pkwy
Henderson, NV 89052
Phone: (866) 782-9487
Rate: $170 Single/Double Occupancy
+ current tax rate
+ $18 resort fee
Accommodation Cutoff -- February 27, 2017
Note: A limited number of rooms at the discounted group rate are available for conference registrants on a first-come, first-served basis, and cannot be guaranteed by the AAFP.
About Hotel Reservations
- Reservations made after February 27, 2017, will be confirmed on a rate and space available basis. The conference rate is not guaranteed for reservations made after this date.
- Green Valley Ranch Resort, Spa, & Casino guarantees reservation by credit card. When making reservations, one night's room and tax will be charged to hold reservation.
- Reservations may be cancelled up to 72 hours prior to arrival without penalty.
This live activity, Adult Medicine, with a beginning date of April 5, 2017, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 25 Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The AAFP is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Academy of Family Physicians designates this live activity for a maximum of 25 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
CME activities approved for AAFP credit are recognized by the AOA as equivalent to AOA Category 2 credit.
View more credit agreements »