Wednesday, April 5 - Saturday, April 8, 2017 | Las Vegas (Henderson), NV
Musculoskeletal and Sports Care Live Course
Register by February 27 to Save $100.
Attend Musculoskeletal and Sports Care
Wednesday, April 5 - Saturday, April 8, 2017
Las Vegas (Henderson), NV
Green Valley Ranch Resort, Spa, & Casino
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION DISCOUNT AVAILABLE THROUGH FEBRUARY 27, 2017.
Early Bird $795
Early Bird $745
Student or Resident
Early Bird $545
Early Bird $795
Early Bird $1,095
Review best practices to assess, diagnose, and treat musculoskeletal injuries. Improve your ability to evaluate bones or soft tissue to determine the stage and severity of injury.
Approved for up to 25 AAFP Prescribed credits; 25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. View all statements and agreements »
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Assess injured bones or soft tissue to determine the stage and severity of the injury.
- Demonstrate proficiency in examination techniques, including range of motion, stability, bone alignment and assessment of soft tissue swelling/masses.
- Prepare treatment recommendations for patients with musculoskeletal injuries that include NSAIDs or pain medication and application of the RICE strategy.
- Counsel patients who participate in organized sports or rigorous athletics on injury avoidance and use of protective gear.
- Identify training needs related to procedural skills such as casting, splinting and joint injection.
- Altitude Illnesses
- Athletes with Common Medical Conditions (Asthma, Infectious Mononucleosis, Sickle Cell Trait, Diabetes Mellitus)
- Cardiovascular Screening in Young Athletes
- Case Studies – Shoulder & Knee Evaluation and Management
- Concussion and Return to Play Guidelines
- Dietary and Nutritional Supplements
- Exercise Prescriptions and New Trends in Training
- Female Athlete Triad
- Exercise for the Geriatric Patient: morbidity and injury prevention
- Osteoarthritis and Sports Participation: Causes and Treatments
- Physician Wellness: Tools to Combat Burn-out
- Skin Conditions in Athletes
- STOP Sports Injuries: Pediatric overuse injury prevention and treatment
- Upper Body Evaluations, Examinations, and Injury Management: Cervical, Shoulder, Elbow, Hand and Wrist
- Lower Body Evaluations, Examinations, and Injury Management: Lumbar, Hip, Knee, Ankle and Foot
Note: Topics are subject to change.
|Wednesday, April 5, 2017|
|Wednesday, April 5, 2017 : 7:00 - 7:45 a.m.||Registration / Breakfast Provided|
|Wednesday, April 5, 2017 : 7:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Wednesday, April 5, 2017 : 12:15 - 1:45 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Wednesday, April 5, 2017 : 1:45 - 5:30 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, April 6, 2017|
|Thursday, April 6, 2017 : 7:00 - 8:00 a.m.||Breakfast Provided|
|Thursday, April 6, 2017 : 8:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, April 6, 2017 : 12:15 - 1:30 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Thursday, April 6, 2017 : 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.||Optional Sessions*|
|Friday, April 7, 2017|
|Friday, April 7, 2017 : 7:00 - 8:00 a.m.||Breakfast Provided|
|Friday, April 7, 2017 : 8:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Friday, April 7, 2017 : 12:15 - 1:30 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Friday, April 7, 2017 : 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.||Optional Sessions*|
|Saturday, April 8, 2017|
|Saturday, April 8, 2017 : 7:00 - 8:00 a.m.||Breakfast Provided|
|Saturday, April 8, 2017 : 8:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Saturday, April 8, 2017 : 12:15 p.m.||Course Adjourn|
*Separate registration and fee required.
Note: Times are subject to change.
How to Add Optional Sessions
Separate registration and fee required to attend an optional session. Seats are limited and are only available to course registrants. Select from optional sessions during online registration.
If you have already registered for the course, please call AAFP at (800) 274-2237 to register for an optional session.
(#101) Thursday, April 6, 2017, 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.
- Describe indications and contraindications for joint injections and aspiration.
- Select appropriate equipment/supplies for performing joint injections and aspiration.
- Illustrate appropriate anatomic landmarks.
- Demonstrate proper technique for various joint injections (via use of models).
Splinting and Casting
(#102) Thursday, April 6, 2017, 1:30 - 4:30 p.m. or
(#103) Friday, April 7, 2017, 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.
- Compare splinting vs casting and identify common conditions treated with appropriate splints and casts
- Demonstrate effective application of common splints and casts
- Describe proper patient education for cast and splint care
(#104) Friday, April 7, 2017, 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.
- Appropriately manage, on the field, an athlete with a suspected acute spinal injury.
- Appropriately manage, on the field, an athlete with a suspected acute fracture and/or dislocation.
- Perform a musculoskeletal evaluation of the upper and lower extremities on individuals wearing protective athletic equipment.
- Access an individual’s readiness to return to physical activities utilizing a progression of functional activities and concussion screening techniques.
Registration includes online access to the syllabus one week before the course. A hard copy of the syllabus may be purchased for $60 when registering for the course. A limited number of syllabuses will be available for purchase on site. Additional information and instruction will be provided by email after you register.
Contact the hotel directly to make arrangements for your accommodations during this course.
Green Valley Ranch Resort, Spa, & Casino(resweb.passkey.com)
2300 Paseo Verde Pkwy
Henderson, NV 89052
Phone: (866) 782-9487
Rate: $170 Single/Double Occupancy
+ current tax rate
+ $18 resort fee
Accommodation Cutoff -- February 27, 2017
Note: A limited number of rooms at the discounted group rate are available for conference registrants on a first-come, first-served basis, and cannot be guaranteed by the AAFP.
About Hotel Reservations
- Reservations made after February 27, 2017, will be confirmed on a rate and space available basis. The conference rate is not guaranteed for reservations made after this date.
- Green Valley Ranch Resort, Spa, & Casino guarantees reservation by credit card. When making reservations, one night's room and tax will be charged to hold reservation.
- Reservations may be cancelled up to 72 hours prior to arrival without penalty.
This live activity, Musculoskeletal and Sports Care, with a beginning date of April 5, 2017, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 25 Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The AAFP is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Academy of Family Physicians designates this live activity for a maximum of 25 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
CME activities approved for AAFP credit are recognized by the AOA as equivalent to AOA Category 2 credit.
View more credit agreements »