Tuesday, July 15 - Friday, July 18, | Myrtle Beach, SC
Practical Advances in Musculoskeletal and Sports Care
Register by June 16 to Save $100
Enrich your practice with knowledge to provide the spectrum of musculoskeletal and sports care. Learn the latest evidence-based information on new and progressive therapeutic strategies and technological advances.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Assess injured bones or soft tissue to determine the stage and severity of injury.
- Demonstrate proficiency in examination techniques, including range of motion, stability, bone alignment, and assessment of soft tissue swelling/masses.
- Prepare treatment recommendations for patients with musculoskeletal injuries, including NSAIDs or pain medication and application of the RICE strategy.
- Counsel patients who participate in organized sports or rigorous athletics on injury avoidance and use of protective gear.
- Identify training needs related to procedural skills, such as casting, splinting, and joint injections.
Earn CME Credit
Approved for up to 29.25 AAFP Prescribed credits; 29.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.
|EARLY BIRD FEE*||FEE|
|AAFP Member||EARLY BIRD FEE*: $895||FEE: $995|
|AAFP New Physician Member||EARLY BIRD FEE*: $820||FEE: $920|
|AAFP Student Resident Member||EARLY BIRD FEE*: $645||FEE: $745|
|Allied Health Professional||EARLY BIRD FEE*: $895||FEE: $995|
|Nonmember||EARLY BIRD FEE*: $1,195||FEE: $1,295|
*Early bird fee available for registrations completed on or before June 16, 2014.
The following hotel is available for accommodations during this course. Contact the hotel to make arrangements for your stay.
Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grand Dunes(www.marriott.com)
8400 Costa Verde Drive
Myrtle Beach, SC 29572
Phone: (843) 449-8880
Rate: $219 Single/Double Occupancy + current tax rate
Accommodation Cutoff -- June 16, 2014
Note: A limited number of rooms at the discounted group rate are available for conference registrants on a first-come, first-served basis, and cannot be guaranteed by the AAFP.
About Hotel Reservations
- Reservations made after June 16, 2014, will be confirmed on a rate and space available basis. The conference rate is not guaranteed for reservations made after this date.
- Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grand Dunes guarantees reservation by credit card and will not be charged prior to arrival date.
- Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 7 days prior to arrival .
- Back/Lumbar/Sacral Exam
- Cardiac Sudden Death in Athletes
- Chronic Tendinopathy
- Concussion and Return to Play
- Elbow Exam
- Exercise Prescriptions
- Female Athlete Triad
- Hand and Wrist
- Hand and Wrist Exam
- Hip Exam
- Knee Exam
- Lower Leg/Ankle
- Lower Leg/Ankle Exam
- Manipulative Medicine and Physical Therapy
- Neck/C Spine
- Neck/C Spine Exam
- Overtraining in Pediatric Patients
- Performance Enhancing Drugs
- Pre-Participation Evaluation
- Runner’s Foot
- Shoulder Exam
Note: Topics are subject to change.
Download the complete schedule(5 page PDF), which includes session times, topics, faculty, and learning objectives.
|Tuesday, July 15, 2014|
|Tuesday, July 15, 2014 : 7:00 - 7:45 a.m.||Registration / Breakfast Provided|
|Tuesday, July 15, 2014 : 7:45 - 11:45 a.m.||General Sessions|
|Tuesday, July 15, 2014 : 11:45 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Tuesday, July 15, 2014 : 1:00 - 5:45 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Wednesday, July 16, 2014|
|Wednesday, July 16, 2014: 7:30 - 8:00 a.m.||Breakfast Provided|
|Wednesday, July 16, 2014: 8:00 - 11:45 a.m.||General Sessions|
|Wednesday, July 16, 2014: 11:45 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Wednesday, July 16, 2014: 1:00 - 5:45 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, July 17, 2014|
|Thursday, July 17, 2014: 7:30 - 8:00 a.m.||Breakfast Provided|
|Thursday, July 17, 2014: 8:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, July 17, 2014: 12:15 - 1:30 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Thursday, July 17, 2014: 1:30 - 6:45 p.m.||Optional Sessions*|
|Friday, July 18, 2014|
|Friday, July 18, 2014: 7:30 - 8:00 a.m.||Breakfast Provided|
|Friday, July 18, 2014: 8:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Friday, July 18, 2014: 12:15 p.m.||Course Adjourns|
*Separate registration and fee required.
Note: Times are subject to change.
How to Add Optional Sessions
Separate registration and fee required to attend an optional session. Seats are limited and are only available to course registrants. Select from optional sessions during online registration.
If you have already registered for the course, please call AAFP at (800) 274-2237 to register for an optional session.
Thursday, July 17, 2014
1:30-3:30 p.m. - $160
- Compare musculoskeletal injections by site, steroid agent and dose, and potential side effects.
- Discuss indications, benefits, and limitations of prolotherapy, PRP, and autologous blood injections through review of evidence based literature.
- Demonstrate proper technique for various joint injections (via use of models)
Splinting / Casting
3:45-6:45 p.m. - $240
- Compare the indications for using casts, splints or wrapping and taping.
- Demonstrate effective application of a splint or cast, and wrapping/taping technique.
Registration includes online access to the syllabus one week before the course. A hard copy of the syllabus may be purchased for $60 when registering for the course. Additional information and instruction will be provided by email after you register.
Peter J. Carek, MD, MS, FAAFP, Course Chair, Professor and Chair, Department of Community Health and Family Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL
James Clugston, MD, Assistant Professor, Department of Community Health and Family Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine: Assistant Director, University of Florida Sports Medicine Fellowship; Team Physician, University of Florida Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida
W. Joshua Cox, DO, FACOFP, Department Chair, Associate Professor, Family and Community Medicine, Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, Kansas City, Missouri
Jocelyn Gravlee, MD, Associate Professor, Department of Community Health and Family Medicine, Team Physician, University Athletic Association, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
Guy Nicolette, MD, CAQSM, Director, Sports Medicine Fellowship, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
Cheree Ann Padilla, MD, Assistant Professor, Department of Community Health and Family Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
Michael J. Petrizzi, MD, FAAFP, Clinical Professor, Department of Family Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond, VA; Private Practice, Hanover Family Physicians; Medical Director, Mechanicsville, VA
This live activity, Practical Advances in Musculoskelatal and Sports Care, with a beginning date of July 15, 2014, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 29.25 Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The AAFP is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Academy of Family Physicians designates this live activity for a maximum of 29.25 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Ready to register?
Practical Advances in Musculoskeletal and Sports Care
July 15-18, 2014
Myrtle Beach, SC