Wednesday, July 19 - Saturday, July 22, 2017 | Denver, CO
Women's Health Live Course
Focus on the unique aspects of medical care for the women in your practice. Hear from leading experts on a variety of women’s health topics, including contraception management, hormone replacement therapy, and abnormal uterine bleeding.
Approved for up to 25.25 AAFP Prescribed credits; 25.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Credits include clinical procedural workshops. View all statements and agreements »
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate comprehensive insight into recent women’s health initiatives
- Formulate evaluation and treatment plans related to various health issues throughout a woman’s life cycle.
- Construct an individual wellness plan.
- Discuss the unique aspects of medical care for women.
- Identify and assist victims of physical, emotional and sexual violence and abuse.
- Differentiate specific issues, disease processes, and treatments based on gender and ethnicity.
Attend Women's Health
Wedneday, July 19 - Saturday, July 22, 2017
Grand Hyatt Denver
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION DISCOUNT AVAILABLE THROUGH JUNE 20, 2017.
Early Bird $795
Early Bird $745
Student or Resident
Early Bird $545
Early Bird $795
Early Bird $1,095
Note: Topics are subject to change.
- Abnormal Uterine Bleeding and Amenorrhea: Case Study
- Breast Mass
- Cardiovascular Disease Prevention for Women
- Chronic Pain Therapies & Modalities
- Contraception Management
- Depression & Anxiety in Women
- Diabetes Prevention, Screening & Management
- Herbal Therapies & Supplements
- Hot Topics
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), Pap Tests, and Cervical Cancer
- Hyper & Hypothyroidism
- Intimate Partner Violence
- Menopause / Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Obesity and Weight Management
- Osteoporosis & Osteopenia
- Overactive Bladder & Urinary Incontinence
- Pelvic Pain
- Physician Well-being: Tools to Combat Burnout
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and Hyperandrogenism
- Pre-conception Counseling
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Well Woman Maintenance
Download the complete schedule(4 page PDF), which includes session times, topics, and faculty.
|Wednesday, July 19, 2017|
|Wednesday, July 19, 2017 : 7:00 - 7:30 a.m.||Registration / Breakfast Provided|
|Wednesday, July 19, 2017 : 7:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Wednesday, July 19, 2017 : 12:15 - 1:45 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Wednesday, July 19, 2017 : 1:45 - 4:45 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, July 20, 2017|
|Thursday, July 20, 2017 : 7:00 - 7:45 a.m.||Breakfast Provided|
|Thursday, July 20, 2017 : 7:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Thursday, July 20, 2017 : 12:00 - 1:30 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Thursday, July 20, 2017 : 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.||Clinical Procedural Workshops*|
|Friday, July 21, 2017|
|Friday, July 21, 2017 : 7:00 - 7:45 a.m.||Breakfast Provided|
|Friday, July 21, 2017 : 7:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Friday, July 21, 2017 : 12:00 - 1:30 p.m.||Lunch on Your Own|
|Friday, July 21, 2017 : 1:30- 4:30 p.m.||Clinical Procedural Workshops*|
|Saturday, July 22, 2017|
|Saturday, July 22, 2017 : 7:00 - 7:45 a.m.||Breakfast Provided|
|Saturday, July 22, 2017 : 7:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||General Sessions|
|Saturday, July 22, 2017 : 12:15 p.m.||Course Adjourn|
*Separate registration and fee required.
Note: Times are subject to change.
How to Add Clinical Procedural Workshops
Separate registration and fee required to attend a clinical procedural workshop. Seats are limited and are only available to course registrants. Select a workshop during online registration.
If you have already registered for the course, please call AAFP at (800) 274-2237 to register for a clinical procedural workshop.
Evaluation & Biopsy of Skin Lesions
(#101) Thursday, July 20, 2017, 1:30 - 4:30 p.m. or
(#103) Friday, July 21, 2017, 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.
- Evaluate options for skin biopsy, including shave punch, and excisional biopsies.
- Compare appropriate biopsy selections for skin lesions depending upon the type of lesion and its expected depth.
- Demonstrate knowledge of performing shave, punch, and excisional biopsies.
- Choose preferred suturing methods for wound closure.
- Discuss performance of local anesthesia with minimal pain and maximum effectiveness for patients
IUDs & Other Long Acting Reversible Contraception (LARC) – Hands on IUD Practice
(#102) Thursday, July 20, 2017, 1:30 - 4:30 p.m. or
(#104) Friday, July 21, 2017, 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.
- Summarize the benefits and risks of LARC devices.
- Explain the evidence-based recommendation for the provision of immediate postpartum LARC.
- Implement strategies to mitigate side effects of LARCs such as breakthrough bleeding.
- Explain and demonstrate proper technique in LARC insertion using models.
NEXPLANON® (etonogestrel implant) 68 mg Radiopaque (No CME)
(#105) Thursday, July 20, 2017, 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
Receive hands-on training for insertion and removal procedures as well as implant localization techniques.Completion of this course will allow you to order the product from authorized distributor(s).
This session, which is sponsored by Merck, is not accredited for continuing education credit. The training is open only to MD/DO, NP, PA or CNMs, and Residents authorized to perform the procedures entailed in the insertion and removal of NEXPLANON in the jurisdiction where they practice. Additionally, NPs, PAs, and CNMs must attest that they have met all specific state conditions and requirements, including but not limited to signing a collaborative agreement with an MD/DO.
Residents must understand that they can only administer NEXPLANON under the supervision of an attending physician who has also been trained on the procedures to insert and remove NEXPLANON.
It is Merck's policy to verify all clinicians’ practice, US license, and eligibility information in advance of the training. Merck will contact you directly if there is a problem. Attendees are expected to attend the entire training, which is approximately 2 hours in duration. Certificates of attendance will not be issued to those who arrive late or leave early.
Elissa J. Palmer, MD, FAAFP, Course Chair, Professor and Chair, Director Reproductive Services, Director Rural Track Residency, Department of Family Medicine, University of Nevada School of Medicine, Las Vegas, Nevada
Jennifer A. Keehbauch, MD, FAAFP, Director, Florida Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program; Director, Women’s Health Fellowship, Orlando, Florida
E.J. Mayeaux, Jr., MD, FAAFP, Professor and Chairman, Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Columbia, South Carolina
Nanette Santoro, MD, Professor and E. Stewart Taylor Chair of Obstetrics & Gynecology University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, CO
Lisa Soldat, MD, MS, FAAFP, Retired, Formerly Adjunct Assistant Professor of Family Medicine, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa; Currently Visiting Lecturer, Gadjha Mada University, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Jeannette South-Paul, MD, FAAFP, Chair, Department of Family Medicine, University of Pittsburgh; UPMC Matilda Theiss Clinic, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Registration includes online access to the syllabus and other on-site resources one week before the course. A hard copy of the syllabus may be purchased for $60 when registering for the course. A limited number of syllabuses will be available for purchase on site. Additional information will be provided by email after you register.
The following hotel is available for accommodations during this course. Contact the hotel to make arrangements for your stay.
Grand Hyatt Denver(resweb.passkey.com)
1750 Welton Street
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: (800) 223-1234
Rate: $209 Single/Double Occupancy
+ current tax rate
Accommodation Cutoff -- June 20, 2017
Note: A limited number of rooms at the discounted group rate are available for conference registrants on a first-come, first-served basis, and cannot be guaranteed by the AAFP.
About Hotel Reservations
- Reservations made after June 20, 2017, will be confirmed on a rate and space available basis. The conference rate is not guaranteed for reservations made after this date.
- Grand Hyatt Denver guarantees reservation by credit card. Credit cards will not be charged prior to scheduled arrival date.
- Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival.
This live activity, Women's Health, with a beginning date of July 19, 2017, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 25.25 Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The AAFP is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Academy of Family Physicians designates this live activity for a maximum of 25.25 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
CME activities approved for AAFP credit are recognized by the AOA as equivalent to AOA Category 2 credit.
View more credit agreements »