AAFP CME Credit System
CME Credit Application Process
Step 1: Review AAFP's Eligibility Requirements.
- Prescribed CME credit: The CME activity must have an AAFP Active, Supporting FP, or Life member directly involved in the planning of the activity to ensure the relevance of the content to the specialty of family medicine.
- Elective CME credit: The CME activity may be primarily designed for healthcare professionals other than physicians. Direct involvement of an AAFP Active, Supporting FP, or Life member in the planning of the activity is not required.
Review our eligibility requirements.
Step 2: Submit an Application.
Use our pre-application worksheets to gather information for your online application process.
1. Create a CME Provider account.
- Go to our online application tool
- Enter at least one of the following: name of organization, organization ID number, or zip code
- A confirmation e-mail will be sent to you. Please keep a copy for your files.
2. Submit your application for certification of a CME activity.
Log in to AAFP CME Provider Dashboard to complete your application. Once logged in, you will see your dashboard that will provide you with access to all the CME activity applications you have created.
Begin Your Application
Already have a CMe provider Account?
Return to an application or check your status.
- Online: Upon completion of the application, select the desired payment option - credit card or check. When paying by check, providers must send the check and a copy of the invoice to AAFP.
- Applications Submitted by mail, fax, or e-mail: Submit the completed Live Activity worksheet, supporting information and review fee. An additional $100 data entry fee is required.
To pay by check: Mail a copy of the Live Activity worksheet, supporting materials, and invoice to:
American Academy of Family Physicians
Attn: CME Credit System and Compliance
11400 Tomahawk Creek Parkway
Leawood, KS 66211
The application review process begins once payment is received in full.
Need a RUSH?
CME providers have the option to pay a rush fee to have their CME application reviewed faster than the standard 30 business days (6 weeks). Review of rush applications require 3 - 5 business days. The rush fee is $500 plus the review fee.
Please call the AAFP at (800) 274-2237 to request a rush review.
After Your Application Has Been Received
- Standard application review processing is 30 business days from the receipt of payment.If an application is submitted without all the required information, the review process will take longer.
- Rush reviews available upon request and may be conducted within 3-5 business days. The rush fee is $500 in addition to the review fee. Note: AAFP reserves the right to determine if the application qualifies for the RUSH option. RUSH fees are refundable in the event the application review can not be expedited.
Use of Pending Credit Statement
Once AAFP receives the CME application, CME providers are required to use the following pending credit statement until official credit determination is received:
"Application for CME credit has been filed with the American Academy of Family Physicians. Determination of credit is pending."
The AAFP strives to ensure previous CME credit determination decisions do not influence current
application reviews; this is in part because rules change and evolve over time, along with the CME
environment. Prior CME credit approvals are not a guarantee on future activity applications.
CME Providers will be notified of CME credit approval/denial by e-mail. Please retain a copy of the AAFP CME Credit Determination notification for your files. Applicants may also log in to the AAFP CME Provider Dashboard to check an application status.