CME Credit Application Process
Step 1: Review AAFP's Eligibility Requirements.
- Prescribed CME credit: An AAFP Active, Supporting (FP), or Life member must be directly involved in the planning of these activities.
- Elective CME credit: Activities of interest to physicians and will improve professional abilities. The educational activity does not need to relate directly to patient care or its delivery. Does not require AAFP member input.
Review our eligibility requirements.
Step 2: Submit an Application.
Use our pre-application worksheets to gather information for your online application process.
1. Create a CME Provider account.
- Go to our online application tool*
- Enter at least one of the following: name of organization, organization ID number, or zip code
- A confirmation e-mail will be sent to you. Please keep a copy for your files.
*Any CME provider unable to complete an online application, may submit the appropriate Pre-Application Worksheet as a paper application by mail, fax, or e-mail. A $100 data entry fee is required for each application not submitted online.
2. Submit your application for certification of a CME activity.
Log in to AAFP CME Provider Dashboard to complete your application. Once logged in, you will see your dashboard that will list applications not submitted to AAFP yet (or not paid), applications under AAFP review, and approved activities.
Begin Your Application
Already have a CMe provider Account?
Return to an application or check your status.
You can choose to pay by check or credit card. Once the activity content has been entered and submitted to the AAFP online, providers will be able to print invoices for unpaid applications and receipts for paid applications.
- Online: Upon completion of the online application, select the desired payment option - credit card or check. When paying by check, providers must send the check and a copy of the invoice to AAFP. The review process begins once payment is received in full.
- Applications Submitted by mail, fax, or e-mail: Submit the completed Live Activity worksheet, supporting information and review fee -- including the additional $100 data entry fee -- to the AAFP.
To pay by check: Mail a copy of the Live Activity worksheet, supporting materials, and invoice to:
American Academy of Family Physicians
Attn: CME Credit System and Compliance
11400 Tomahawk Creek Parkway
Leawood, KS 66211
Need a RUSH?
CME providers have the option to pay a rush fee to have their CME application reviewed faster than the standard 30 business days (6 weeks). Review of rush applications require 3 - 5 business days. The rush fee is $500 plus the review fee.
Download the Re-Review and RUSH Request(0 bytes) form.
After Your Application Has Been Received
- Standard application review processing is 30 business days from the receipt of payment.If an application is submitted without all the required information, the review process will take longer.
- Rush reviews available upon request and may be conducted within 3-5 business days. The rush fee is $500 in addition to the review fee. An additional $100 data entry fee will apply if the application is submitted by mail, fax, or e-mail. Note: AAFP reserves the right to determine if the application qualifies for the RUSH option. RUSH fees are refundable in the event the application review can not be expedited.
Use of Pending Credit Statement
Once AAFP receives the CME application, CME providers are required to use the following pending credit statement until official credit determination is received:
"Application for CME credit has been filed with the American Academy of Family Physicians. Determination of credit is pending."
CME Providers will be notified of CME credit approval/denial by e-mail. Please retain a copy of the AAFP CME Credit Determination notification for your files. Applicants may also log in to the AAFP CME Provider Dashboard to check an application status.