AAFP CME Credit System
The following information applies to CME providers who have submitted an application for AAFP credit and/or received approval for AAFP credit.
View the CME Provider Dashboard to check the status of your application.
You may publish the official AAFP credit statement after you have received the official CME credit determination letter from the AAFP.
The term of approval for annual series and multi-site applications is for one year from the activity’s start date.
You must update the application by logging in to your CME Provider Dashboard and entering the additional activity dates/sites. After 12 months, you must submit a new application to continue to offer AAFP credit.
AAFP credit approval does not imply permission to use the AAFP logo or name in association with the activity—including in activity materials—other than in the authorized credit statement.
AAFP credit approval does not indicate or imply endorsement, partnership, cooperation, or joint sponsorship by the AAFP.
The AAFP Credit System will maintain the confidentiality of CME provider organization information and will use it for the following purposes only:
- Activity certification and audit processes
- Sharing of de-identified aggregated information
- As required by legal process
- Otherwise with the provider’s permission.
In addition, the AAFP reserves the right to use any information that is or may become publicly available.
Final approval of all AAFP credit rests with the Commission on Continuing Professional Development (COCPD). All CME providers have the right to who wish to appeal determination of credit. Review the process for filing an appeal.
The AAFP is committed to ensuring that appropriate quality CME is available to the nation's family physicians. To ensure compliance with current CME regulations, the AAFP reserves the right to monitor any activity that has been awarded AAFP credit. In addition to investigating complaints and questionable applications, the AAFP randomly selects activity applications for routine educational audits. Review our audit checklist.
After an activity receives official AAFP credit approval, "Save the Date" announcements and advertisements may indicate that the activity was approved for AAFP credit without using the full, official AAFP credit statement. View all credit statements.
- CME Search: All CME activities approved for AAFP credit are listed on the AAFP's Search All AAFP Certified CME webpage. CME providers can opt out of listing their CME activities.
- Membership List: The AAFP has contracted with INFOCUS Marketing to exclusively handle all external facets of its member list rental program. Please refer all list inquiries, count requests, and list orders to INFOCUS Marketing at:
Phone: (800) 708-5478
Fax: (866) 708-5478
CME providers must conduct CME activities in a professional and businesslike manner.
The AAFP reserves the right to withhold CME credit if a CME provider's business practices interfere with the delivery of a quality CME learning experience or contradict the AAFP’s stance on a given procedure or practice.
Beyond failure to meet the eligibility criteria, reasons the AAFP may choose to withhold CME credit include, but are not limited to:
- Portrayal of incorrect, inadequate, inappropriate, commercially biased, or incomplete clinical, scientific, medical/legal, or socioeconomic information.
- Unethical distribution of material, such as offering the material as a prize or bonus for favors, inappropriate advertising that misrepresents or inaccurately portrays the material, or misrepresentation of the CME credit that may be acquired by using the materials.
- Release of confidential information regarding any physician's participation in the activity or use of the material.
Please notify AAFP CME Credit System staff if any changes are made to the activity.
Re-review of an application is necessary when the CME credits of an activity change. For example, an application would be re-reviewed if the program agenda changed after approval. Re-review fees are applied if the activity content changes and there will be a change in the number of approved CME credits. A re-review does not apply for simple requests for an update to the start or end date of an activity, speaker or faculty changes, or dates that are added to the activity.
There is a processing fee of $125 for re-review of any CME application by the AAFP after you receive official credit approval.
CME providers are not required to distribute certificates of participation to physicians who attend their activity. AAFP members may report their CME credit to the AAFP without documentation, either online or by phone. However, physicians may need certificates of participation for state licensing and credentialing, so the AAFP encourages CME providers to provide a certificate. The AAFP’s online Tools for CME Developer include a certificate of participation template.
AAFP members may report CME credits in the following ways:
- By phone: (800) 274-2237
- By mail:
American Academy of Family Physicians
Attn: Contact Center
11400 Tomahawk Creek Parkway
Leawood, KS 66211
Retain all documentation associated with CME activity development, including records verifying physician participation, for at least one year.