Elective CME Credit Requirements
These activities do not require AAFP member input.
To be eligible for Elective CME Credit, the content of a CME activity must:
- Demonstrate that greater than 50% of the activity content meets the eligibility criteria for AAFP CME credit
- Comply fully with the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) Standards for Commercial Support and the American Medical Association (AMA) Council on Ethical and Judicial Affairs (CEJA) Gifts to Physicians from Industry Opinion E-8.061
- Have medical education content of interest to family physicians, but not meet the Prescribed Eligibility Criteria
- Be designed to improve a physician's professional ability, although it need not directly influence patient care or care delivery
- Be designed for health care professionals other than physicians
- Have clinical content that is in one of the following categories:
- Based on customary and generally accepted (CGA) medical practice
- Neither based on evidence nor on customary and generally accepted medical practice, but not deemed dangerous or ineffective
The AAFP reserves the right to deny credit to CME activities in which the educational objectives contradict AAFP policy.
View a list of Activities Not Eligible for CME Credit.