AAFP Credit System
Translation to Practice® (t2p™)
FAQ & Templates
Materials are available for reference including a FAQ, and samples of potential customizable forms for CME Providers to distribute to learners. Formatting, style, and question content may be altered to fit the needs of each individual provider.
- SAMPLE: Commitment to Change Statement(1 page DOC)
- SAMPLE: Post-Activity Response Evaluation(1 page DOC)
Translation to Practice® is an activity supplement available exclusively to all CME provider organizations for activities approved for Prescribed credit through the AAFP Credit System. Translation to Practice® (t2p™) allows learners the opportunity to translate learned concepts from a CME activity into their practice, and report back to the CME provider organization on the results of their implementation. Learners who choose to participate will be eligible to earn two additional Prescribed credits per CME activity upon full completion of the t2p™ process.
There are three steps associated with participation in t2p™:
- Commitment to Change: After participating in any live, enduring, or medical journal activity approved for AAFP Prescribed credit, a learner may choose to participate in t2p™. If the learner chooses to do so, they must complete a commitment to change statement indicating what change they would like to implement.
- Implement Change: The learner implements the learned change into practice.
- Post-Activity evaluation: the learner evaluates whether the implemented change resulted in improved patient care, and assesses any barriers or challenges that were encountered.
Adding t2p™ to CME Credit Application
CME Provider Organizations may apply for Translation to Practice® by selecting the option (t2p™) in Step 1 of the AAFP Credit System’s online application, available at www.aafp.org/cmea/login.Once the CME activity is approved for credit, the CME provider organization will be responsible for the administration of the t2p™ process. Upon approval, CME provider organizations will receive a t2p™ credit statement located in the credit determination letter that may be used for marketing purposes.
t2p™ must be added at the time of application submission, though if a CME provider organization wishes to add t2p later, they will incur the t2p™ fee as well as a re-review fee.
Informational materials are provided for reference, and include a t2p™ FAQ sheet as well as sample templates for the three-step process. CME provider organizations are not required to adhere to strict guidelines or use these templates, and retain the flexibility to make changes to, or create their own templates. As with any other CME activity, learners can self-report the credit for participation in t2p™ once completed. CME provider organizations are responsible for gathering and retaining any data.
Sample t2p™ Process:
- Upon completion of an activity approved for AAFP Prescribed credit, the learner is then offered the opportunity to participate in Translation to Practice®, and earn an additional two Prescribed credits. Learners who wish to participate must complete a commitment to change statement, and submit it back to the CME provider organization indicating their intent to engage in the t2p™ activity.
- The CME provider organization is encouraged to contact the t2p™ participants following the submission of the commitment to change statement at various intervals throughout the implementation. CME provider organizations should choose intervals/deadlines that meet their specific needs.
- Once the designated timeframe for implementing the change is complete, learners will need to evaluate whether the implemented change resulted in improved patient care. Learners should fill out a post-activity response statement, assessing whether the implementation was successful. When the learner submits this form back to the CME provider organization, the learner may claim an additional two Prescribed credits for successful completion of t2p™.