Care of the Newborn
Edition #399 | August 2012
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information -- without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz. Online access for this edition available until August 2014.
In This Edition
- Describe the controversy around universal versus risk-based screening for newborn hyperbilirubinemia.
- Cite the factors that increase the risk for neonatal hyperbilirubinemia.
- Summarize the approach to evaluation and treatment of neonatal hyperbilirubinemia.
- Outline key components for enhancing breastfeeding in a patient population.
- Summarize an approach to infant feeding through the first year of life.
- Describe management strategies for common breastfeeding concerns and complications.
- Cite the changes in the updated neonatal resuscitation guidelines with respect to meconium-stained amniotic fluid and use of supplemental oxygen.
- Describe potential postresuscitation complications and their management.
- Summarize the risk factors and early potential signs of autism spectrum disorder (ASD).
- Cite possible approaches to screening for ASD.
- Describe the optimal approach to managing a young child suspected of having ASD.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits; 5 AMA PRA Category 1 credits™. Credit valid through August 31, 2014.
Purchase this Edition
Read It Online
Content accessible after purchase of this edition, FP Essentials Subscription, or FP Essentials + FP Audio Combined Subscription.