Edition #401 | October 2012
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information -- without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz.
In This Edition
- Discuss the risk factors for the 3 major types of skin cancer.
- Describe the data supporting or limiting recommendations for universal versus risk-based screening for skin cancer.
- Summarize evidence-based strategies for skin cancer prevention.
- Summarize the key features of the history and physical examination that improve diagnostic accuracy in assessing a skin lesion.
- Discuss an appropriate differential diagnosis of pigmented skin lesions to better differentiate lesions that are benign from those that are premalignant or malignant.
- Outline factors supporting a decision to perform a biopsy, and identify the most appropriate biopsy technique to use for a suspicious skin lesion.
- Summarize the evidence-based management options for premalignant and nonmelanoma skin cancers.
- Describe potential adverse effects of skin cancer treatments and appropriate patient education strategies regarding those treatments.
- Summarize tips for optimizing coding and billing for treatment of skin cancers.
- Summarize melanoma staging and prognostic features.
- Describe the optimal approach to management of melanoma based on stage.
- Explain the role of sentinel node biopsy in the evaluation of melanoma.
- Outline the approach to the management of recurrent melanoma.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits; 5 AMA PRA Category 1 credits™. Credit valid through October 31, 2014.
Purchase this Edition
Read It Online
Content accessible after purchase of this edition, FP Essentials Subscription, or FP Essentials + FP Audio Combined Subscription.