Edition #406 | March 2013
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information -- without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz.
In This Edition
- Outline the components of an integrative medicine (IM) treatment plan for a patient with a mental health disorder.
- Summarize roles of IM therapies, including herbal and nutritional supplements, light therapy, mindfulness-based therapies, and music therapy, for managing psychiatric disorders.
- Discuss the effect of exercise on mental health.
- Describe the rationale for recommending IM therapies in chronic pain management.
- Summarize difficulties in conducting and interpreting research focused on IM therapies (eg, finding an appropriate control in acupuncture studies).
- Describe the rationale for recommending IM therapies as adjuvant therapy to conventional pharmacotherapy.
- Summarize the nutritional, herbal, and botanical therapies available to promote cardiovascular health.
- Discuss mind-body therapies that can be incorporated as part of an IM treatment plan for promoting cardiovascular health.
- Outline an IM treatment plan for a patient with a history of breast cancer.
- Summarize the roles of complementary aspects of IM therapies, including biologically based therapies, manipulative and body-based practices, energy therapies, ancient medical systems, and mind-body interventions to optimize the care of a breast cancer survivor.
- Devise an IM treatment plan to improve health after breast cancer treatment and to prevent recurrent breast cancer.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits; 5 AMA PRA Category 1 credits™. Credit valid through March 31, 2015.
Purchase this Edition
Read It Online
Content accessible after purchase of this edition, FP Essentials Subscription, or FP Essentials + FP Audio Combined Subscription.