Intimate Partner Violence
Edition #412 | September 2013
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information -- without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz. Online access for this edition available until September 2015.
In This Edition
- Describe the health consequences of and risk factors for intimate partner violence (IPV).
- Discuss the current screening recommendations and available screening tools for IPV.
- Summarize the advantages and disadvantages of screening for IPV (for survivors and perpetrators).
- Outline an approach for assessing patient safety for an IPV survivor.
- Discuss important considerations in documenting and reporting IPV.
- Summarize stage-appropriate interventions, including protection orders, for IPV survivors.
- Discuss potential interventions for IPV perpetrators.
- Describe the potential effects of exposure to domestic violence on children.
- Summarize potential methods to screen and intervene with children exposed to IPV.
- Discuss barriers to seeking help for IPV among individuals in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community.
- Summarize unique health risks and consequences of IPV for LGBT individuals.
- Describe potential barriers to providing IPV interventions for LGBT individuals.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits; 5 AMA PRA Category 1 credits™. Credit valid through September 30, 2015.
Purchase this Edition
Read It Online
Content accessible after purchase of this edition, FP Essentials Subscription, or FP Essentials + FP Audio Combined Subscription.