Edition #420 | May 2014
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information -- without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz. Online access for this edition available until May 2016.
In This Edition
- Discuss the increased risk of future stroke associated with transient ischemic attack.
- Summarize the value of urgent evaluation and treatment of all patients who have a transient ischemic attack.
- Describe the clinical improvement associated with rapid thrombolytic therapy for an acute ischemic stroke.
- Distinguish the blood pressure targets for patients experiencing acute ischemic stroke who have received thrombolytic therapy from targets for patients experiencing acute ischemic stroke who have not received thrombolytic therapy.
- Describe a hospital stroke unit and the patient improvements associated with admission to a stroke unit after an acute ischemic stroke.
- Determine which patients need to receive antiplatelet therapy and discuss when therapy should be started after an acute ischemic stroke.
- Describe which patients benefit from anticoagulation with warfarin after an acute ischemic stroke.
- Summarize interventions that are effective as secondary prevention of acute ischemic stroke.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits; 5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Credit valid through May 31, 2016.
Purchase This Edition
Online access only
CME credit approved through May 31, 2016
Take the Quiz for CME Credit
Read It Online Now
Content accessible after purchase of this edition, FP Essentials Subscription, or FP Essentials + FP Audio Combined Subscription.