Cardiac Risk Factors
Edition #421 | June 2014
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information -- without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz. Online access for this edition available until June 2016.
In This Edition
- Explain what the Reynolds Risk Score measures.
- Discuss the cardiac biomarker that is most well established as being effective for reclassifying risk of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease over what can be accomplished with traditional risk factors alone.
- List four environmental exposures that can increase the risk of coronary heart disease (CHD).
- State which sleep duration (ie, short, long, or both) increases the risk of CHD.
- Name a scoring system that can be used to determine the likelihood that pain is due to CHD in a patient presenting with chest pain.
- Describe an appropriate evaluation protocol for a patient presenting with acute chest pain who is considered to be at low risk of CHD as the etiology of the pain.
- List three recommendations in the 2013 American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association cholesterol guidelines that differ from recommendations published in prior cholesterol guidelines.
- List three recommendations in the Eighth Joint National Committee (JNC 8) hypertension guidelines that differ from recommendations published in the prior (JNC 7) hypertension guidelines.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits; 5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Credit valid through June 30, 2016.
Purchase This Edition
Online access only
#421: Cardiac Risk Factors
CME credit approved through June 30, 2016
Take the Quiz for CME Credit
Read It Online Now
Content accessible after purchase of this edition, FP Essentials Subscription, or FP Essentials + FP Audio Combined Subscription.
- Biomarkers and Genetic Tests to Determine Cardiovascular Risk
- Environmental, Sociodemographic, and Behavioral Cardiovascular Risk Factors
- Noninvasive Testing to Detect Coronary Heart Disease
- New Cholesterol and Blood Pressure Management Guidelines
- Take the CME Quiz: Cardiac Risk Factors
- Download This Edition as a PDF(56 page PDF)