Edition #422 | July 2014
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information -- without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz. Online access for this edition available until July 2016.
In This Edition
- Cite the common indications for anticoagulation.
- Describe a risk assessment approach for venous thromboembolism and bleeding to determine the appropriateness of anticoagulation for an individual patient.
- Summarize the indications for, precautions related to, and potential adverse effects of the new oral anticoagulants.
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of warfarin and the new oral anticoagulants.
- Outline education points to discuss with patients taking oral anticoagulants.
- Summarize the initial anticoagulant choices for patients undergoing surgical procedures; hospitalized nonsurgical patients; and patients with acute coronary syndrome, prosthetic heart valves, or venous thromboembolic disease.
- Cite the alternatives to warfarin and discuss how to convert to and from the new oral anticoagulants.
- Describe monitoring of oral anticoagulants and options for improving the time in the therapeutic range.
- Summarize a treatment approach to a patient taking warfarin who has major bleeding or an elevated international normalized ratio without active bleeding.
- Discuss ways to minimize the bleeding risk of a patient taking an oral anticoagulant.
- Summarize the identification and management of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits; 5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Credit valid through July 31, 2016.
Purchase This Edition
Online access only
CME credit approved through July 31, 2016
Take the Quiz for CME Credit
Read It Online Now
Content accessible after purchase of this edition, FP Essentials Subscription, or FP Essentials + FP Audio Combined Subscription.
- Indications and Risk Classification Schemes
- Choosing the Optimal Anticoagulant
- Monitoring of Patients Receiving Anticoagulation
- Managing Adverse Events in Patients Receiving Anticoagulation and Perioperative Care
- Take the CME Quiz: Anticoagulation
- Download This Edition as a PDF(52 page PDF)