Edition #425 | October 2014
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information -- without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz. Online access for this edition available until October 2016.
In This Edition
- Describe the role of behavior modification, including diet and exercise, in obesity management.
- Outline the SMART (Specific, Measurable, Action-based, Realistic, Time-based) model approach to goal setting for weight loss.
- Summarize dietary interventions for weight loss with respect to options and efficacy.
- Cite the major principles of pharmacotherapy for weight loss, including differential response among patients and need for lifelong drug treatment.
- Outline the indications for pharmacotherapy and bariatric surgery for patients desiring weight loss.
- Cite the Food and Drug Administration-approved drugs for weight loss, including their potential benefits and risks.
- Cite common drugs used for other indications with the potential side effect of weight loss.
- Cite common drugs with the potential adverse effect of weight gain.
- Describe the role of dietary supplements and integrative medicine techniques for weight loss.
- Summarize the four types of bariatric procedures and their specific contraindications.
- Describe the potential short-term efficacy, benefits, and surgical complications of bariatric surgery.
- Summarize long-term benefits of bariatric surgery with respect to weight loss.
- Cite the potential long-term complications of bariatric surgery.
- Summarize the potential nutritional deficiencies associated with bariatric surgery and how to prevent them.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits; 5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Credit valid through October 31, 2016.
Purchase This Edition
Online access only
CME credit approved through October 31, 2016
Take the Quiz for CME Credit
Read It Online Now
Content accessible after purchase of this edition, FP Essentials Subscription, or FP Essentials + FP Audio Combined Subscription.