Edition #428 | January 2015
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information -- without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz. Online access for this edition available until January 2017.
In This Edition
- Tell parents that their child’s first dental evaluation should be performed by age 12 months.
- Recommend fluoride varnish be applied every 6 months to the teeth of children from age 6 months through 6 years who have not received this care elsewhere.
- Prescribe oral fluoride supplementation to children from age 6 months to 16 years when the fluoride content of the child’s water supply is less than 0.6 ppm.
- Advise patients that an avulsed primary tooth should not be replanted.
- Advise patients that an avulsed permanent tooth should be replanted promptly.
- Identify issues needing orthodontic attention.
- Advise patients and their families how to seek the appropriate orthodontic care.
- Discuss the health concerns for patients with tooth loss.
- Perform regular oral examinations on denture wearers to assess for denture stomatitis.
- Tell denture wearers to clean all surfaces of the denture with a soft-bristled brush and mild denture paste, avoiding regular toothpaste because its abrasiveness may damage the denture.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits; 5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Credit valid through January 31, 2017.
Purchase This Edition
Online access only
#428: Oral Health
CME credit approved through January 31, 2017
Take the Quiz for CME Credit
Read It Online Now
Content accessible after purchase of this edition, FP Essentials Subscription, or FP Essentials + FP Audio Combined Subscription.