Care of Patients at the End of Life
Edition #447 | August 2016
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information -- without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz. Online access for this edition available until August 2018.
In This Edition
- Prescribe opioid therapy using appropriate drugs in appropriate dosages to manage pain in patients at the end of life.
- Determine the correct opioid regimen for a patient transitioning from oral to parenteral administration using correct dosage conversions.
- Prescribe treatments for constipation in patients at the end of life.
- Prescribe treatments for dyspnea in patients at the end of life.
- Initiate discussions about advance care planning with all patients.
- Counsel patients with dementia and/or their family members that providing artificial nutrition via feeding tubes offers no benefit and can cause discomfort for patients.
- Describe the difference between competence and medical decision-making capacity.
- Conduct a family meeting with the family members of a patient at the end of life.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits; 5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Credit valid through August 31, 2018.
Purchase This Edition
Online access only
#447: Care of Patients at the End of Life
CME credit approved through August 31, 2018
Take the Quiz for CME Credit
Read It Online Now
Content accessible after purchase of this edition, FP Essentials Subscription, or FP Essentials + FP Audio Combined Subscription.