Psychotic and Bipolar Disorders
Edition #455 | April 2017
FP Essentials is a monthly subscription containing authoritative, unbiased, and peer-reviewed clinical information—without any advertisements.
Purchase this individual edition for online access to its content, and earn up to 5 CME credits upon completion of the quiz. Online access for this edition available until April 2019.
In This Edition
- Assess patients who present with an apparent first psychotic episode by seeking etiologies of symptoms and address any significant comorbid medical illnesses.
- In collaboration with a mental health subspecialist, coordinate care for patients with schizophrenia, including management of comorbid conditions and risk factors.
- Prescribe evidence-based treatments for patients with dementia, with the goal of reducing targeted behaviors.
- Review the evidence for not prescribing sedative and hypnotic drugs for elderly patients with a history of dementia who present with neuropsychiatric symptoms of psychosis.
- Coordinate ongoing care for patients taking antipsychotic drugs and monitor for potential adverse effects.
- Identify potential drug interactions when prescribing drugs for patients taking antipsychotic drugs.
- Describe screening for bipolar disorder when patients present with depression.
- Describe prevention and management of comorbidities in patients with bipolar disorder, including substance use, metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular disease.
Approved for 5 AAFP Prescribed credits; 5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Credit valid through April 30, 2019.
Purchase This Edition
Online access only
#455: Psychotic and Bipolar Disorders
CME credit approved through April 30, 2019
Take the Quiz for CME Credit
Read It Online Now
Content accessible after purchase of this edition, FP Essentials Subscription, or FP Essentials + FP Audio Combined Subscription.