2013 AAFP Scientific Assembly
Reid Blackwelder, MD
In his first address as AAFP President, Reid Blackwelder, MD, demonstrates his strong belief in the galvanizing power of family medicine. Acknowledging both challenges and opportunities on the family medicine landscape, Dr. Blackwelder describes family physicians leading the way to health care transformation.
Opening Session: Glenna Salsbury
Hear from motivational speaker Glenna Salsbury with an inspiring and funny message about how to boost your energy, enthusiasm, and effectiveness. During the Opening Session, Salsbury outlined simple but poignant ways to seek personal connections with your patients and staff.
What gives family physicians the most joy?
Hear from several Assembly attendees who visited the RealTalk Video Booths on site at the San Diego Convention Center. Listing appreciative patients, being able to help, and treating patients as family, these family docs truly love their calling.
Family Physician of the Year
Meet Keith Davis, MD, who was named the AAFP’s 2014 Family Physician of the Year at Assembly in San Diego. As the sole physician in Lincoln County, Idaho, he runs a medical center and also serves as medical director of a local hospice, the county coroner, an ER physician, and the county emergency medical services director.
UpClose Daily Editions
Missed the paper edition? Read the daily digital UpClose for a recap of past Assembly events and profiles of speakers and colleagues.
- Welcome to Assembly (Page 1; continued on page 13)
- The Hub in Hall A (Page 3)
- General Sessions (Page 4)
- CME Highlights (Pages 6-8)
- Opening Session: Real Issues recap (Page 1, continued on page 15)
- Q&A with new President Dr. Blackwelder (Page 3)
- AAFP Election Results (Page 4)
- Expo Hall Opens Today (Page 8)
- Panel Session: Real Answers (Page 1)
- Assembly Celebration Heads to the Ballpark (Page 3)
- Congress of Delegates Update (Page 4)
- Handouts Educate about ACA Changes (Page 12)
- How FPs Can Fascinate (Pages 1 and 3)
- Meet the Family Physician of the Year (Page 3)
- Practice Enhancement Concerns Discussed (Page 4)
- Profile: San Diego Free Clinics (Page 14)