Choosing or Changing a Career Path
Family medicine may be a single specialty, but it comes in almost as many "flavors" as there are family physicians. This collection of articles is designed to display a variety of flavors of practice and give you a start in a practice that suits your taste. Note that FPM content published within the past 12 months is accessible to AAFP members and paid subscribers only.
Return to main topic list.
The Variety of Practice Possibilities|
Innovative Practice Models
- 14 Alternative Practice Styles [Feature] (02/01/2001)
- Choosing Between Clinical Practice and Administration [Feature] (01/01/2003)
- Is Moonlighting Right For You? [Feature] (03/01/2007)
- Providing Charity Care: A Primer on Liability Risk [Feature] (01/01/2003)
- A Physician's Guide to Locum Tenens [Feature] (02/01/1999)
- Solo Practice: The Way of the Future [Feature] (10/01/2003)
- Ten Reasons to Be a Self-Employed Family Physician and Ten Ways to Do It [Feature] (10/01/2002)
- Cashing in on House Calls [Feature] (02/01/2006)
- Cash-Only Practice: Could It Work for You? [Feature] (02/01/2006)
- Going Solo: One Doc, One Room, One Year Later [Feature] (03/01/2002)
- A New Model of Charitable Care: The Robin Hood Practice [Feature] (02/01/2008)
- A Job-Share Model for the New Millenium [Feature] (09/01/2002)
- Part-Time Practice: Making It Work [Feature] (06/01/2004)
- A Part-Time Practice Success Story [Feature] (09/01/1999)
- Demystifying Common Terms in Employment Agreements [Feature] (06/01/2003)
- Finding the Perfect Job [Feature] (08/01/2006)
- Interviewing 101 [Feature] (01/01/2001)
- A Primer on Employment Contracts [Salaried FP] (12/01/2002)
- Tying the Partnership Knot: Making It a Win for Both Practice and Associate [Feature] (04/01/2009)
- It's Not Too Early to Prepare for Semi-Retirement [Salaried FP] (02/01/2002)
- A Must-Do List for the Departing Physician [Feature] (10/01/2005)
- Negotiating Your Semi-Retirement Package [Feature] (12/01/2004)
Last Update: 07/22/2010
Copyright © 2012 by the American Academy of Family Physicians.
This content is owned by the AAFP. A person viewing it online may make one printout of the material and may use that printout only for his or her personal, non-commercial reference. This material may not otherwise be downloaded, copied, printed, stored, transmitted or reproduced in any medium, whether now known or later invented, except as authorized in writing by the AAFP. Contact email@example.com for copyright questions and/or permission requests.