Family Medicine On Air
Episode 2: What Med Students Need to Know About Direct Primary Care
In this episode of Family Medicine On Air, AAFP Board Chair Reid Blackwelder, MD, discusses direct primary care, an evolving model of care that can lower overall health care costs and allow physicians to spend more time with their patients.
- Use this list of discussion questions(1 page PDF) to supplement and deepen your learning and understanding of direct primary care and its potential impact on how patient care is delivered by family physicians and other primary care practitioners. This activity is meant to follow viewing of the episode.
- Read this handout on physician payment reform(2 page PDF) to learn how different payment models incentivize particular aspects of care delivery.
- Direct primary care FAQs, infographic, and other resources
- AAFP Direct Primary Care Member Interest Group
- Primary Care Payment Reform Primer
- Health Care Payment and Delivery Models - Glossary of Terms
- Doc Talk: Paths to Practice video featuring family physicians practicing in a variety of settings, including direct primary care
This video is also available on:
About Family Medicine On Air
Family Medicine On Air is a series of live social media events that gives medical students across the country a chance to learn about hot topics in health care from family medicine leaders -- all in 15 minutes or less. Each episode streams live on Google Plus and YouTube and is archived so that you can view it later or even stream to share with your medical student colleagues at an FMIG event. View the latest episode »