Chief Resident Leadership Development Program
Strong Leaders Start Here
Give your chief residents the resources they need through the AAFP’s Chief Resident Leadership Development Program—the only national program of its kind dedicated exclusively to family medicine chief residents.
During this year-long, interactive program, chief residents benefit from:
- An in-depth spring workshop covering leadership skills and competencies essential to performing well in their role;
- A specialized fall workshop held in conjuction with the AAFP Family Medicine Experience, including new resources as well as valuable peer and family medicine expert connections;
- Ongoing support and encouragement through a coaching plan, monthly newsletters, tools and worksheets, and an online chief resident listserv community.
2017 SPRING KICK-OFF WORKSHOP
Choose from two sessions: May 18-20, 2017 or May 20-22, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Plan to register your chief residents for this interactive workshop. Participants set specific goals for the year and build a leadership toolkit. Space is limited; early registration is recommended. Registration will open in early 2017.
- Why Are You a Chief Resident
- Team Building
- Professional Development of Self
- Leadership Competencies
- Leading Change
- The Art of Principled Negotiation
- Consultation for Success (optional)
- Professional Development of Others
- Ensuring Success
Get a preview of the experience.
Mark H. Greenawald, MD
Vice Chair for Academic Affairs and Professional Development, Carilion Clinic Department of Family and Community Medicine; Associate Professor of Family Medicine, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine, Roanoke, VA.
Jeri Hepworth, PhD
Director of Medical Education and Designated Institutional Official, Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center; Assistant Dean for Education at Saint Francis for the University of Connecticut, Hartford, CT.
Stacy Potts, MD, MEd
Program Director and Associate Professor, University of Massachusetts Worcester Family Medicine, Worcester, MA.
Also Included in the Program:
September 12-16, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Chief residents regroup and recharge at the fall workshop to further enhance their ability to help lead a residency program. Held during the AAFP Family Medicine Experience (formerly AAFP Assembly) September 12-16, 2017 —the family medicine event of the year—chief residents receive valuable resources and connect with family medicine experts. (Conference registration included in Chief Resident Leadership Development Program fee.)
YEAR-LONG LEARNING COMMUNITY
In addition to the on-site opportunities, your chief resident will receive access to supportive resources throughout the year, including:
- A program to facilitate working with a coach for support and encouragement
- Worksheets for goal-setting and self-evaluation
- Monthly newsletters for chief residents and coaches
- Online chief resident listserv community to connect with peers