Resident Delegate to the AAFP Congress of Delegates
NOTE: Applications for the 2017-18 term are currently being accepted. The position will be elected on July 29, 2017 at the National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students in Kansas City. Applications are accepted up until the election; however, applicants are encouraged to submit their applications before the start of National Conference (July 27-29).
Experience Congress of Delegates and learn the governance process of the AAFP in this national resident leadership position.
Applicants are elected as alternate delegates and serve as alternate delegates to this year's AAFP Congress of Delegates, alongside the current delegates. Following the meeting, those elected serve as delegates through next year's Congress of Delegates.
- Represents resident member interests, as voted on by the National Congress of Medical Students, at the AAFP Congress of Delegates by following resolutions and issues pertinent to family medicine residents
- Functions as a member of the AAFP Commission on Education (COE)
- Keeps lines of communication open with resident members to facilitate dialogue on issues important to residents
- Provides assistance to the Resident Chair of National Conference in coordination of resident activities
- Demonstrated interest and involvement in family medicine groups or state organizations as a student or resident
- Does not need previous experience in a national AAFP leadership position
- Must have residency director's endorsement that time away from residency will be granted to attend meetings
Time commitment away from residency: Approximately 10-15 days (includes weekends) for travel and attendance at meetings
Funding: Travel covered according to AAFP Travel Policy. A per diem covers expenses to travel to and attend the meeting, including lodging and food.
|MEETING : Congress of Delegates||DATES : September 10-13, 2017||LOCATION : San Antonio, TX|
|MEETING : Winter Cluster||DATES : January 25-28, 2018||LOCATION : Kansas City, MO|
|MEETING : Summer Cluster||DATES : June 1-3, 2018||LOCATION : Kansas City, MO|
|MEETING : National Conference||DATES : August 2-4, 2018||LOCATION : Kansas City, MO|
|MEETING : Congress of Delegates||DATES : October 7-10, 2018||LOCATION : New Orleans, LA|