AAFP Board of Directors: Student Member
NOTE: Applications for the 2017-18 term are currently being accepted. The position will be elected on July 29, 2017 at the National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students in Kansas City. Applications are accepted up until the election; however, applicants are encouraged to submit their applications before the start of National Conference (July 27-29).
Bring a student perspective to high-level decision-making discussions of the AAFP Board of Directors. This opportunity includes social media and public relations training, as well as unique mentoring opportunities with established leaders in family medicine.
- Bring the student perspective to all AAFP Board deliberations
- Help orient other student officers to the AAFP governance and policy
- Communicate issues of importance to the appropriate AAFP commissions
- Coordinate the discussions of the student delegation at the AAFP Congress of Delegates
- Attend all AAFP Board of Directors meetings as a voting member
- Attend all Commission on Education (COE) Subcommittee on Resident and Student Issues (SRSI) meetings (voting member)
- Attend meetings of a Commission for which you serve as a Board Liaison according to AAFP Board policy. (Students may serve as a liaison to any Commission other than the Commission on Finance and Insurance.)
- Attend National Conference the year following election, including facilitating the candidates’ forum
- Attend two Congress of Delegates and AAFP FMX meetings
- Attend the National Conference of Constituent Leaders/Annual Chapter Leader Forum (NCCL/ACLF)
- Attend other meetings as directed by the Board Chair
- Entering final year of medical school at time of election
- At least one year of national level experience in AAFP leadership (National Conference Chair, National Delegate, National FMIG Coordinator, AAFP commission member, or representative to Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) or AAFP Foundation Board of Trustees)
- Must be in good academic standing at medical school
Time commitment away from medical school: Approximately 45-50 days (includes weekends) for travel and attendance at meetings
Funding: Provided for meeting attendance according to AAFP Board of Director reimbursement policies beginning the Wednesday of the first COD/FMX you attend. Once in effect, reimbursement policies cover all days required to travel for Board business.
Note: The student member of the Board will not be eligible to later serve on the AAFP Board as resident or new physician representative.
|MEETING: Congress of Delegates, FMX||DATES: September 10-16, 2017||LOCATION: San Antonio, TX|
|MEETING: AAFP Board of Directors||DATES: December 4-9, 2017||LOCATION: Overland Park, KS|
|MEETING: Winter Cluster||DATES: January 25-28, 2018||LOCATION: Kansas City, MO|
|MEETING: AAFP Board of Directors||DATES: February 28-March 3, 2018||LOCATION: Washington, DC|
|MEETING: AAFP Board of Directors, NCCL/ACLF||DATES: April 23-28, 2018||LOCATION: Kansas City, MO|
|MEETING: Summer Cluster||DATES: June 1-3, 2018||LOCATION: Kansas City, MO|
|MEETING: AAFP Board of Directors||DATES: July 23-28, 2018||LOCATION: Yountville, CA|
|MEETING: National Conference||DATES: August 2-4, 2018||LOCATION: Kansas City, MO|
|MEETING: Congress of Delegates, FMX||DATES: October 7-13, 2018||LOCATION: New Orleans, LA|