Student Representative to the AAFP Center for Global Health Initiatives (CGHI)
NOTE: This position is filled. Applications will be accepted in 2019 for the 2020-2021 term. For information on the amount of travel associated with this position, check out the meeting calendar below, which reflects the current representative’s anticipated schedule of activities.
Help plan the AAFP Family Medicine Global Health Workshop, take the lead in preparing and facilitating the Global Health Networking Meeting at the National Conference, and participate in Polaris-related activities. Receive mentoring from established leaders in global health.
Polaris is WONCA North America's Young Physicians Movement that includes medical students, residents and new physicians.
- Represent the medical student perspective as a member of the AAFP Center for Global Health Initiatives Advisory Board
- Participate in the program development of the annual AAFP Global Health Workshop
- Coordinate student activities, if any, during the Global Health Workshop
- Facilitate/moderate the Global Health Networking meeting at the AAFP National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students
- Function as a global health liaison to medical students through, but not limited to, the FMIG Network
- Disseminate global health-related messages via appropriate social media channels
- Provide input to global health-related communications
- Be a US and AAFP Student representative on the Polaris Executive Committee
- Communicate regularly with the AAFP resident and new physician representatives to the Polaris Executive and AAFP staff, WONCA Polaris Executive from Canada and Caribbean
- Provide an annual report to the AAFP to be submitted to the AAFP CGHI. This report will be used to inform the AAFP Board of Directors of Polaris activities
- Participate and contribute in the Polaris Executive strategic planning process and implementation
- Must be entering second or third year of medical school
- Demonstrate interest and involvement in global health
- Must be in good academic standing
Time commitment away from medical school: Approximately 10-15 days including weekends, and one hour per month for conference calls
Funding: Provided for CGHI Advisory Board Interim meeting attendance, Global Health Workshop attendance, and one face-to-face WONCA or Polaris meeting
Note: The student member of the CGHI Advisory Board can only serve on the Board once; he or she will not be eligible to serve on the CGHI Advisory Board as a resident.
|MEETING: AAFP Global Health Workshop||DATES: TBD||LOCATION: Location rotates|
|MEETING: CGHI Advisory Board Interim Meeting||DATES: TBD||LOCATION: Kansas City, MO|
|MEETING: Polaris Executive meeting (held in North America, or during WONCA World meeting)||DATES: TBD||LOCATION: Location rotates|
|MEETING: National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Students||DATES: July-August||LOCATION: Kansas City, MO|