Student Liaison to the Latino Medical Student Association
NOTE: Applications for this position are being accepted. The deadline is May 15, 2017.
During the fall of 2016, executive leadership from the LMSA and the AAFP FMIG Network discussed opportunities for collaboration to accomplish shared goals, including: workforce diversity in primary care, community organizing and advocacy for improving vulnerable patient populations, and developing leaders in primary care.
Founded in 1987, the LMSA is a non-profit organization with a mission to unify all Latino medical students into one organization, actively promote recruitment and retention of Latino students at all levels, educate medical students on Latino health issues, and advocate for the rights of Latinos in health care. Throughout the years, LMSA has successfully provided leadership opportunities for Latinos and promoted volunteerism in the Latino community.
- In the 2017-18 term, the AAFP/LMSA Student Liaison will be responsible for helping build the position, defining its responsibilities, etc., based on the framework jointly established in the Memorandum of Understanding
- Participate in regular calls and meetings with both AAFP FMIG Network and LMSA leadership to stay informed and contribute to FMIG priorities and strategic planning in workforce diversity
- Disseminate information between LMSA and the FMIG Network as requested
- Participate in planning and executing programming at AAFP National Conference and LMSA National Conference
- Participate in further refining a LMSA/AAFP joint strategic plan to promote family medicine as a career to LMSA members
- Identify and act on opportunities for increasing medical student awareness and affinity for primary care careers, especially as it relates to serving underserved and underrepresented communities and pursuing careers in academics
- Identify strategies to boost attendance of LMSA students interested in primary care to AAFP National Conference, particularly among students in their first three years of medical school
- Meet mutually agreed upon eligibility requirements and be chosen by a joint selection committee that includes both AAFP and LMSA leadership, and approved by both organizations’ boards of directors
- Medical student at an LCME or AOA accredited medical school in good academic standing
- Member of the AAFP
- Member of the LMSA
- Interested in promoting family medicine in medical schools through LMSA and FMIG activities
Time commitment away from medical school: Approximately 13-14 days (includes weekends) for travel and attendance at meetings
Funding: The AAFP will cover reasonable expenses (in accordance with its applicable travel policies) to attend the AAFP National Conference and the annual FMIG Network Student Leader Orientation, including registration fees, transportation, lodging and meals. The LMSA will cover reasonable expenses (in accordance with its applicable travel policies) to attend the LMSA National Conference and the LMSA Leadership Retreat/Policy Summit, including registration fees, transportation, lodging and meals.
|MEETING : LMSA Leadership Retreat and Policy Summit||DATES : October 2017||LOCATION : Washington, DC|
|MEETING : FMIG Network Student Leader Orientation||DATES : January 2018||LOCATION : Leawood, KS|
|MEETING : LMSA National Conference||DATES : April 2018||LOCATION : Miami, FL|
|MEETING : AAFP National Conference||DATES : August 1-4, 2018||LOCATION : Kansas City, MO|