About AAFP News Now
Opinions expressed in AAFP News Now do not necessarily reflect the policies of the AAFP.
Address comments to:
AAFP News Now
11400 Tomahawk Creek Parkway
Leawood, KS 66211-2672
fax: (913) 906-6089
phone: (800) 274-2237, Ext. 5225
AAFP News Now, launched in April 2005, is the official news publication of the American Academy of Family Physicians. The two previous AAFP news publications, FP Report and AAFP Direct, ceased publication the month before ANN launched. At that time, some news coverage from those discontinued publications was "migrated" to ANN online.
ANN is first and foremost an online publication, with news stories posted continually. Each week, members with e-mail addresses on file with the AAFP receive an e-mail with links to top ANN online stories.
Staff in the AAFP News Department, with assistance from the Design Department.
As the family physician's trusted, credible source for news about the specialty and the larger world of medicine, AAFP News Now delivers news and information to AAFP members that is accurate, timely, and consistent with the Academy's strategic mission areas and that demonstrates the value of AAFP membership.
Nancy Kuehl, M.B.A.
Managing Editor - Online
Social Media/Commentary Editor
Senior Online Editor
Design & Print Manager
To comment on AAFP News Now stories, post a comment at the bottom of individual stories. Or, send a letter to the editor to firstname.lastname@example.org. We'd love to hear from you!
- As much as possible, please try to focus your posts on the topic of the AAFP News Now story under discussion.
- If you have a question for an individual quoted in a story, you should e-mail that individual directly. Be advised that AAFP leaders do not monitor AAFP News Now story comments. If you want your question or comment to go to leaders, you should e-mail them directly, or you can e-mail the editor of AAFP News Now.
- You are fully responsible for the content you post. Don't post content that violates the copyright, trademark, patent or other intellectual property right of any third party. The administrator may remove any posting you have made if you violate this provision.
- Advertising or promoting of products and services is expressly prohibited in the comments field. Actions in violation of this rule will result in removal of the comment.
- If you are giving your opinion on a product or service mentioned in an AAFP News Now story, please make a statement about any actual or perceived conflicts of interest you may have.
- Please do not type in all-capital letters. This is considered the equivalent of shouting. (However, using all-capital letters for one or two words denoting emphasis is fine.)
- Please treat other members with respect.
- You acknowledge and agree that you use and/or rely on any information obtained through the comments field at your own risk. AAFP does not in any manner endorse the content of the comments field and cannot and will not vouch for its reliability.
- When you post content, you grant AAFP the right to use it. Specifically, you give AAFP the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, exclusive and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part, world-wide, and to incorporate it in other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.
I already use a news reader. How do I add ANN to it?
You can add ANN top stories to your news reader (also called an RSS reader, feed reader or feed aggregator) by clicking the orange RSS icon on the left. Depending on your browser version, when you click the icon, you'll see either a page of unstyled code or a list of recent ANN articles.If you see the unstyled code, just ignore it. Copy the URL from the address bar and paste it into your news reader. If you see the list of articles, choose which application you'd like to use to subscribe from the pull-down menu at the top of the page, and click "Subscribe Now."
The latest versions of modern Web browsers are capable of displaying RSS without the need for additional software.
I don't use a news reader yet. How do I get started?
To see a list of free Web-based and downloadable news readers, visit the RSS Compendium(allrss.com). If you choose to download one, be sure to pick one that is compatible with your computer’s operating system (e.g., Windows, Mac, Linux).
Because all news readers are different, it's important to look at the instructions for adding feeds to your specific news reader. Typically, you can add ANN to your news reader simply by clicking the orange RSS icon wherever you see it displayed on an ANN page. When you do, you'll see a page of unstyled code -- the "instructions" for your news reader. Just ignore that page of code, copy the URL from the navigation bar, and paste it into your news reader.
Does ANN offer other RSS feeds?
Yes, in addition to the top headlines, you can choose from feeds on practice management, resident and student issues, opinion pieces and more. To see the full list, go to About RSS and scroll to the bottom of the page.
Visit the ANN widget instructions page to learn how to add the widget to your web page.