December 09, 2013 02:18 pm — As the 50th anniversary of the inaugural Surgeon General's Report on Smoking and Health approaches, the presidents and CEOs of a number of organizations, including the AAFP, are using the occasion to press President Obama to do more to fight tobacco use in the United States.Full Story »
Government & Medicine
Recent Government & Medicine Stories
11/26/2013 — On Capitol Hill last week, AAFP leaders more than made up for a round of congressional visits scheduled for last month that had to be cancelled because of the federal government shutdown. In a span of less than two days, Academy officers and staff tallied up more than a dozen visits with key legislators, congressional staff members and regulatory heads to discuss issues ranging from repeal and replacement of the sustainable growth rate to the current timetable for implementation of meaningful use stage two requirements.
11/22/2013 — The AAFP joined the AMA and a host of other national physician organizations -- as well as 43 state medical societies and associations -- in asking the Department of Veterans Affairs to hit the pause button before finalizing the draft version of a handbook that establishes guidelines for nursing care within the Veterans Health Administration system.
11/06/2013 — The House Ways and Means and Senate Finance committees have released a bipartisan, bicameral proposal that would repeal the broken sustainable growth rate formula and replace it with alternative payment models more aligned with quality of care, including the patient-centered medical home model and accountable care organizations.
More Government & Medicine News
- 11/01/2013 — Letter Protests CMS' Sunshine Act Regulation
- 10/17/2013 — Short-term Agreement Reopens Government
- 10/16/2013 — AAFP Outlines Onerous HHS Regulations
- 10/11/2013 — Health Care Access Threatened by Debt Ceiling Debate
- 10/07/2013 — AAFP Urges Congress to End Government Shutdown
- 09/23/2013 — AAFP, Others Call for More FDA Tobacco Oversight
- 09/10/2013 — AAFP Questions Safeguards on Claims Data
- 09/04/2013 — AAFP Responds to Proposed Medicare Fee Schedule
- 08/21/2013 — Advocacy Center Helps Empower AAFP Members
- 08/13/2013 — IOM Report: Don't Geographically Penalize Physicians
- 08/08/2013 — House Committee Unanimously Passes SGR Repeal Bill