December 04, 2013 04:11 pm — The CDC has issued a health advisory in response to reports of eight cases of serogroup B meningococcal disease in students at Princeton University in Princeton, N.J., as well as three additional cases in students at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Although both outbreaks are caused by serogroup B Neisseria meningitidis, additional molecular typing shows that they are being caused by two different strains, indicating that the outbreaks are not related.Full Story »
Health of the Public
Recent Health of the Public Stories
11/27/2013 — FDA officials announced this week that restrictions the agency had placed on the diabetes medication rosiglitazone (Avandia) in September 2010 are being lifted based on recent research findings that failed to confirm a link between use of the drug and an increased risk for cardiovascular events.
11/20/2013 — The CDC has identified a cluster of late vitamin K deficiency bleeding cases involving four Tennessee infants whose parents declined vitamin K prophylaxis. The CDC is investigating the cases in collaboration with the Tennessee Department of Health.
11/15/2013 — The long-awaited American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association guidelines on treatment of high blood cholesterol to reduce atherosclerotic cardiovascular risk in adults may significantly shift how family physicians treat patients. The updated cholesterol guidelines, which were published Nov. 12 in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, suggest physicians use a new risk assessment tool and grading system to determine who qualifies for statin treatment.
More Health of the Public News
- 11/12/2013 — Draft Recommendations Address Dietary Supplements
- 11/06/2013 — CRC Screening Works, But Numbers Need to Increase
- 11/05/2013 — Obesity May Increase Clostridium difficile Infection Risk
- 10/30/2013 — ACIP Approves Recommended Immunization Schedules
- 10/28/2013 — ACP Guideline Recommends Against CKD Screening
- 10/25/2013 — Reclassify Hydrocodone Combination Products, Says FDA
- 10/24/2013 — Lifestyle Interventions Help Avoid Diabetes in At-risk Patients
- 10/22/2013 — Primary Care Access Reduces Colorectal Cancer Risk
- 10/11/2013 — Get Resources to Help Screen for Family Violence
- 09/18/2013 — Physicians Have Role to Play in Curbing Measles Outbreak
- 09/11/2013 — FDA Considers ER/LA Opioids Label Changes