December 04, 2013 04:30 pm — Group visits can be an effective practice tool for busy physicians caring for patients with chronic diseases, such as diabetes, that call for close management. In fact, the AAFP supports group visits, also called shared medical appointments, as a proven method of improving care quality and helping patients take control of their health care.Full Story »
Practice & Professional Issues
Recent Practice & Professional Issues Stories
12/03/2013 — When a patient dies unexpectedly in a hospital setting, communication among next of kin, medical examiners, hospital staff members and other clinicians often is challenging. The information needs of these diverse interests vary, with the medical examiner seeking to determine the cause and manner of death in the interest of advancing criminal or civil justice and for public health purposes; the hospital and its medical professionals wanting to better understand the death of the patient for quality assurance purposes and to advance the science of medicine; and the patient's next of kin desiring answers as to how and why their loved one died.
11/27/2013 — "Attention: Your doctor(s) will not be in your plan's network starting Jan. 1, 2014." So reads the opening statement of a Sept. 24 notice received by a Florida woman who for many years had her health care needs attended to by Jack Matheny, M.D., a solo family physician in Palatka, Fla.
11/27/2013 — Final rules issued this month by the Obama administration expand efforts to ensure that mental health and substance use disorders receive insurance coverage that is on par with that for medical and surgical benefits.
More Practice & Professional Issues News
- 11/20/2013 — CMS Rolls Out Rule on Inpatient Hospital Admissions
- 11/13/2013 — AAFP Helps Fix Residents' Medicaid Prescribing Problems
- 11/07/2013 — AAFP Map Tracks Progress on Medicaid Parity Increases
- 11/06/2013 — Report Looks at Managing Health of Patient Populations
- 11/06/2013 — AAFP to USP: Reclassify Certain Antidepressants
- 10/30/2013 — Study Highlights Cognitive, Procedural Pay Disparities
- 10/30/2013 — Webinar Covers ACA, Businesses
- 10/23/2013 — Research Shows Need to Refocus Physician Workforce
- 10/21/2013 — Teaching Clinic's PCMH Changes Boost Overall Satisfaction
- 10/16/2013 — Learn How to Negotiate a Better Contract
- 10/07/2013 — Graham Center Projects Future Demand for Physicians